Minelab GPX 6000

VicR

Attached is trade mark application for GPX 6000 - as i have previously mentioned we have had sightings of unidentified Minelab Detector in Adelaide Hills (South Australia) with rumours that it is a new gold detector between the 5000 and 7000. Which makes sense from a marketing point of view - you keep the flagship GPZ 7000 but give the punters a better GPX 5000. So looks like its the GPX 6000 - time will tell whether it turns out to be a giant leap forward like the Equinox or just a slightly improved GPX 5000.

JANUARY 2021 UPDATE - Minelab GPX 6000 Revealed!

Screenshot (3).png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Im sure everyone will have their wish list of what they want from the new machine.

A share market analyst reviewing Codan (Minelab parent company) in June  has the GPX 6000 (he mentions it by name) launching in September 2020 with a price tag of $8000AUD in Australia -  so you would have the GPZ selling for $10,000AUD, GPX 6000 for $8000AUD and the GPX5000 for $6000.  Also mentions the "capabilities" are different to the GPZ 7000 so that GPZ sales should not be significantly affected by the new model.

I was in Codan/Minelab head office today in Adelaide to pick up a repair - had a bit of a snoop around in the front displays for any promo materials on the 6000 but had no luck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, phrunt said:

Let's hope they've incorporated the battery into it so you don't have to wear it on your butt.

Oh yeah!! I remember the days getting tangled up in scrub oak with all kinds of cables wrapped around the branches. Even had to take the battery and harness off to get out of the bushes. Lost a few coil covers that way too. LOL

Well, someone in 'marketing' has to have done something that said 'if you build it they will come' sort of analysis.  You don't go over your top detector and you stay ahead of your best GPX.  That is a price point analysis but what will it do to make it worth it to gold detectorists around the world?  What is the potential number of buyers/how deep or shallow is the market?

The engineering analysis would say you could add a lot of features from their bag of tricks.  How much of it is ready for prime time?

Gold is harder to find now than when both of the other models came out.  Both of those models are 'heavy' so they should make it lighter.  Circuits and boards and the phone style displays are the rage.  Update-able is necessary.  Will they keep or discard a GPS?

I have a 5000 and a 7000.  I don't plan on selling either one any time soon so what would make me buy a 6000?

I say that it is a gold PI machine but also more adaptable to relic hunters also.  They need to sell a few of these things to Equinox owners who want more depth. 

What if they make it waterproof?  A 6000 for the beach?

• Like 2

For me, it has to have performance greater than the 5000. I couldn't care less about batteries, leads, speakers or screens. Performance is the only reason ill upgrade a detector. If its better ill buy one. Ill be keeping the zed though.

From PA forum. https://rogermontgomery.com/codan-goes-from-strength-to-strength/

JANUARY 2021 UPDATE - Minelab GPX 6000 Revealed!

• Like 6

All valid points.  You would not buy a GPX6000 if you had a GPX5000 and GPZ7000 unless the 6000 was significantly different in some way - a few extra bells and whistles over the 5000 will not cut it.

Over a year ago the Minelab project manager for the Equinox approached me in one of Adelaide's park lands while i was detecting with the Equinox and asked for my opinion on how the new machine was performing. One of my comments was that it was "enjoyable" to use. He recommended that i give the 6" coil a go - which i thought - yeah sure. But when i eventually purchased the smaller coil he was right - for where i was detecting it was the right coil that would sniff out targets in high junk areas. We also discussed the weight issue of the GPZ which he nodded knowingly to - he didn't try to defend the GPZ. So i am sure Minelab will have this as one of their high priorities to make the new machine as fun/easy to use as possible. The GPX 5000 is 10 years old and technology has progressed so much in this time surely there will be a significant change? - otherwise people will not bother to update.

• Like 1