Minelab GPX 6000

VicR

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Just stuff a GPX in a fully waterproof Equinox housing for under a grand and I’ll be fine. :smile:

I’d take something like that in a minute.
I wonder if some of the talk from FT about a new prospecting machine, lightweight etc got Minelab’s attention and they are trying to get something comparable or exciting out rather quickly. Guess we wait and see. 

Just when I step out of the hobby, they do something like that to perk my interest.  But still, the same thing would be true for me.  Can have the best machine in the world but it's not any good without places to go with it.   

With gold prices soaring at all time highs, it makes sense to release a new gold prospecting machine.

On 8/1/2020 at 9:12 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Just stuff a GPX in a fully waterproof Equinox housing for under a grand and I’ll be fine. :smile:

Then you'll have 8 million prospectors swarming the gold fields and every last speck will be sucked up in 4 months. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My understanding is that performance on PI's is getting maxed out. And simply just updating to a new case, attached battery, and modern screen hardly seems to justify anyone paying $8k to upgrade from the 5000, or $8k to get those features from current 7000 owners. GPS are cheap, and not a significant upgrade to detectors today.

Minelab has never released a gold machine since I've been detecting for gold that is a downgrade from the current flagship. Not that I can recall anyways. It almost certainly has to have some totally new something or another that the 5000 doesn't have, and maybe that the 7000 doesn't have either since $8k is a premium machine price targeted to serious prospectors. Most serious prospectors already own a 7000 and would need some reason to buy a PI again.

GPX = PI. So, I'm guessing this machine will incorporate this "Geosense PI" technology we heard about. And I'm still guessing it's something to do with correlating the coil position to the ground and to the target in order to get a better ground balance such as in the patents I posted previously. Or maybe something with improved target signal processing. 

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

More timings maybe? The GPX 5000 wasn't a giant leap from the 4500.   Maybe they've been working on better discrimination with word Fisher is doing similar.

If they've done target ID's on a PI I'm in 🙂 I am in fantasy land, but it would be outstanding.

A smart iron probability meter, perhaps a supercharged version of what the GM has, would be a game changer in my view. Here I see the most advancements to be made even beyond the 7000 and would allow for hunting in trashy areas where currently iron discrimination is a must have. It likely would not work well for deep targets, but for surface targets this would be great to have. And worth the money when combined with additional timings and coil options.

I'm thinking the GPX-6000 will come in the CTX/GPZ housing and have GPS technology.  I'm thinking the old coils will work, but they will also come out with the newer flat winding style coils.  The last thing they'll probably do is allow for better Iron Discrimination than the standard GPX-5000.

What would really take the cake for me on this new high dollar detector.  Pulse Induction detector that has a switch or mode that allows it to run like a VLF machine and find all the other kinds of gold the PI's miss. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

The Commander coils might be finally upgraded with spiral windings and be promoted to Captain coils! 🙂

With the X-coils being the Generals..:)

2 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

The last thing they'll probably do is allow for better Iron Discrimination than the standard GPX-5000.

That would assume the 5000 would remain in the fleet. With a new 6000 and the 7000 as the flag ship, it would be tough to see the value proposition for the 5000 to remain. The 6000 could just take over and then be the only gold-PI with an iron meter, next to other improvements that you mentioned. We shall see...