New Minelab Silversaver Metal Detector

I do a lot of recycling of metal in my local area as a side hobby. I received over 15,000 pieces of magnetic stainless steel flatware from a company that does the cleaning of restaurant cloth napkins, aprons etc. Restaurants do lose a lot of flatware! But talking with local restaurant owners, I found out that lost flatware, broken glasses and dishes are put into the budget as part of normal operations. So I was going to re-sell the flatware I received, but found out that the restaurant's suppliers sometimes get them free flatware as a thank you for their business. In my area there would be zero interest in that machine. No one would pay an employee to find flatware. But in high end areas where actual sterling silverware is used it may get some attention.

11 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I do a lot of recycling of metal in my local area as a side hobby. I received over 15,000 pieces of magnetic stainless steel flatware from a company that does the cleaning of restaurant cloth napkins, aprons etc. Restaurants do lose a lot of flatware! But talking with local restaurant owners, I found out that lost flatware, broken glasses and dishes are put into the budget as part of normal operations. So I was going to re-sell the flatware I received, but found out that the restaurant's suppliers sometimes get them free flatware as a thank you for their business. In my area there would be zero interest in that machine. No one would pay an employee to find flatware. But in high end areas where actual sterling silverware is used it may get some attention.

I work in an expensive restaurant no silverware.......stainless only

RR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a bit of a different category for metal detectors.  I don't think it deserves its own thread but let's see what Steve thinks.

Metal in food detecting.

https://www.tdipacksys.com/inspection-systems/metal-detectors

I have to question Minelab getting into the cutlery detection business. Or that, even if they did, it would require a new series of detectors. So I’m back to my original theory that this is a new series of high end coin detectors.

Minelab has been rebuilding the entire coin detecting lineup. Vanquish and Equinox basically replace Go-Find and X-Terra. That gets you from $199 to $899.

The CTX is quite expensive at $2499, but Minelab has sold plenty at that price. There is a lot of room between $899 and $2499 for new models. The $999 Safari and $1549 E-TRAC are very old designs now. In retail we are always looking at “price points.” I could see two or maybe even three new models kicking in, high end replacements for the Safari/-TRAC, and CTX, but incorporating Multi-IQ and perhaps a newer, more robust waterproof design. And yet still under $2K for that perception of more power at lower prices.

F0BD4B8C-72F1-416C-AF4F-C75C9FF7CA84.jpeg

Minelab SilverSaver $1299

Minelab SilverSaver Plus $1599

Minelab SilverSaver Pro $1899

The key here would be a new waterproof housing that learns lessons from both Equinox and CTX and is genuinely robust. It needs to be so good that people would feel comfortable ditching the Excalibur without fear the unit would not be as waterproof. Then you could possibly replace even the Excalibur, and have machines that both Equinox and CTX owners would desire. But even if the Excalibur stays, hopefully prime attention is being placed in getting the housing right as far as being waterproof. You’d think with experience gained from both CTX and Equinox that third time would be a charm.

F1554493-0508-4B5F-9EF8-64A3EFB86D98.png

05A7358A-DC50-436B-953E-435C588EA221.jpeg

B68C48AA-B743-4688-B6F7-B40097D14B97.png

• Like 3

On 7/31/2020 at 2:44 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I never for two seconds even thought about the possibility it is literally a silverware saver. 😱

LOL.... Never entered my mind either....

On 7/31/2020 at 8:13 PM, Tom Slick said:

Well, They said they were working on five new projects. This series is probably four of the five. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess number five will be a detector that can find and trace those tongue studs that people swallow as they pass through the GI tract. 

StudSaver!