Steve Herschbach

New Minelab Silversaver Metal Detector

Use to hunt a hog farm in Fontana California.  Restuarant scraps were sent to this hog farm to feed the beasts!  You would be surprised on how much silverware goes into the trash with the scraps!  We found lots of silverware.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1

It used to be hunting silver was all the rage, but machines in recent years have focused more on low conductor sensitivity. Be nice to see new models that truly target silver coins again in a significant way.

• Like 3

I need one 😊 other than it says for detecting silverware in restaurant bins 😁

• Like 1

Very interesting news. Good old Minelab... They never sleep.

From the Australian Tradepark page Steve linked:

Metal detectors for detecting and preventing tableware, serving-ware, and utensils from being discarded in waste containers, for the restaurant and hospitality industry

That doesn't sound like our kind of detector, rather more like what we have to walk through to get to the airport gate.  😞

34 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I need one 😊 other than it says for detecting silverware in restaurant bins 😁

You've fooled me too many times with your "I'm not buying any more detectors" line of malarkey, Simon.  I bet you get one anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I never for two seconds even thought about the possibility it is literally a silverware saver. 😱

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I never for two seconds even thought about the possibility it is literally a silverware saver.

Yes, particularly since 'silverware' is an antiquated term.  What restaurant even uses silver plate (I actually know of one -- just one) instead of stainless steel flatwear, let alone true sterling silverware.  I do find both silver plate and stainless flatwear (and I assume about everyone who hunts schools and picnic areas does, too) but never to date any sterling flatwear.  I have seen photos of detectorists finding those, however.

I blame the marketers (again) for a misleading name.

I think it is what it says.  Someone must have looked at the market and determined the budget for a restaurant includes a lot of replacements for the table.  Even the stainless steel ware can be expensive these days.  Look at the table settings cost if you lose one or two of those a day in a high volume restaurant.  Things have changed with covid. (They say 60% of restaurants have gone out of business.)  What if you had some washers who scrapped them rather than pull them out of the muck?

It does remind me of a time that I went to a local beach.  When I was leaving I ran into a firefighter who had been surfing.  We were near our cars and he asked me if I found anything good.  I told him not really but I did find a fork.  It was a 'substantial' fork that someone had taken from a restaurant down to the beach.  I still have that fork and use it.  I've found other flatware since then.

I wouldn't expect these machines to be like our hand helds but how are they going to discriminate the silverware from the aluminum foil from the baked potatoes?  What will the operator's job description be?  (dishwasher/silver saver?)

Well, They said they were working on five new projects. This series is probably four of the five. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess number five will be a detector that can find and trace those tongue studs that people swallow as they pass through the GI tract.