Small Batch Placer Gold Refiners?

Hey All,  Iv been trying to locate a Refiner here in the USA that can process a small batch of placer gold (2oz) and fabricate some 18/22k jewelry stock.     I am an amateur jeweler and have tried many times to smelt my hard earned gold into some usable material and have not had any luck thus far.     So, I know I can send it off to a refiner and get generic stock back but the point is to use my own gold for some special pieces.      I know someone else out there has gone down this road before, and i would so appreciate a lead on  a reputable refiner/fabricator.    

cheers!    

There is a place in Oregon that will do small batches of 2 ounces or more. I spoke to them several years ago. I think it's called AAA Precious Metals.

I just checked their website and yes AAA is them. It was going to be expensive for a small batch smelted with only your gold. The more you send the less per ounce it costs.

I ended up purchasing one of the small 2 nozzle furnaces at a gold show with some smelting flux and had really good luck smelting my own. A jewelry friend used my home smelted gold to make several custom pieces for me.

• Like 1

thanks guys, wish me luck, this is a rabbit hole for sure...    Has anyone else experimented with smelting, refining, and working (jewelry) with placer gold?     

There have ads in ICMJ's Mining Journal for refiners of Gold in the past, may still be one or more listed. 

16 minutes ago, MSC said:

There have ads in ICMJ's Mining Journal for refiners of Gold in the past, may still be one or more listed.

Is there a way to see ICMJ ads without a subscription?

Steve indicated that refiners charge a lot more (per unit of weight) for small batches.  That likely applies to any refiners who advertise in ICMJ.

Having said that, it appears microsniper is considering smelting his own.  ICMJ has done articles on that.  Might be worth a subcription since that includes access to back issues (electronically -- through the internet).

I don't know if they've also talked about adding copper or silver to make jewelry alloys, though.

I don't think so, it is a very good magazine especially if you are a gold hunter, worth subscribing to. Sorry, don't have a better solution.