auminesweeper

UK Gold More Than A Myth

When people think of Gold they think of the US, Australia and south Africa but very few people realize that Gold can still be found in the UK.

Many years ago one was unearthed here weighing around the 2 kilo mark and I have friend that does quite well chasing Gold in certain areas of the UK, Because of it's rarity UK Gold seems to hit values around 10X the price of most markets and here is One such Nugget,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33020195

• Like 3

Very interesting article,thanks for sharing.

Lots of absolutely stunning gold finds made in the UK. I tried hard on my last go and saw others find gold but I missed out in that regard. Scored the oldest and best coins and relics of my life though. Can't do 2016 but I am thinking maybe a return trip is in order for 2017.

Lots of absolutely stunning gold finds made in the UK. I tried hard on my last go and saw others find gold but I missed out in that regard. Scored the oldest and best coins and relics of my life though. Can't do 2016 but I am thinking maybe a return trip is in order for 2017.

Well If I am still kicking by then Let me know and I will set you up with the Go To Guy He has a lot of success in Wales and has been finding hot spots there for the past 4 or 5 years.

• Like 1

Interesting articles. Its surprising how much gold there is around the world in places that most would say have none. Here's some more info on UK gold:

http://raregoldnuggets.com/blog/?p=862

• Like 1

Heres an interesting link of Gold Discovery in Scotland along with the history of the area,

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/helmsdale/baileanor/

Here is a PDF from 1869 with pictures and maps etc,

http://www.nmrs.org.uk/publications/lookinside/BM84lookinside.pdf

This PDF is really worth keeping for future reference

http://nora.nerc.ac.uk/11831/1/Gold_proof_11_7July2010.pdf

Thanks for the offer John, though I may very well go back to Colchester as I had a great time there. Check out the website at http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk in the finds area for pages and pages and pages of fabulous gold finds in the Colchester area.

Most of the focus there for the guys hunting are the Celtic gold coins but I think some of the medieval hammered gold coins are more impressive.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By kiwijw
      Hi guys, After a busy sunday morning around the house I decided to brave it & go for an afternoon detect. The weather was not supposed to be good but the sun was out & despite some dark ominous clouds coming in from the northwest & the mountains disappearing within them, often the clouds get so far & don't get any closer. So I decided to go for it. The batteries for the Zed were all fully charged, loaded up the E-Mountain bike & l was off. I didn't really know where to go so when I parked up & got on the bike I just headed off trying to think of places I haven't been to for a while & places that I hadn't been with the Zed but had found gold with previous detector. Those type spots were few & far between these days. I chose a spot that I had been to with the Zed quite a while ago but didn't think I had used it with Steve's insane hot settings & I am pretty sure I found nothing. I did ok here back with the GP 3000 & 4500. I wasn't holding my breath.
      I dropped the bike, took off the backpack & rigged up. The area was typical glacial ground smooth schist bedrock with the foliation of the schist at 90 degrees to the horizontal with gaps in between of deeper ground & grass. As soon as I had auto tuned, ground balanced over the ferrite ring & checked all the settings were where I wanted them I went straight to the edge of a run of this schist bedrock where it dropped into deeper ground. Very slowly rubbing the coil across the ground. There was a piece of flat slab schist sitting on the grass that I had to lift the coil up & over as I ran down this edge. I thought I heard a very slight change in the threshold as I did this. But of course with these hot settings any lifting of the coil off the ground can give a different moan from the general noises going on. But something caught my attention. So I paid a bit more attention & had a poke & prod from a few different angles. I was by no means convinced it was a signal other than ground noise moan from lifting the coil. I got the pick & lifted the little slab of schist & put it to the side. Re scanned. Again I thought there was still a bit of a kick in the threshold although it was not always there. With nothing to lose I scraped off 2 inches of topsoil. MMMmmm....that gave a more positive hit. I was on to to something. But was it gold?
      Laying into the dig I got below the top soil &  into gravely schist & then bedrock schist. Signal still there & I was now convinced it was going to be gold when I was opening up a crevice. That slab of schist center right is the piece I moved out of the way.

Raking out the crevice with the pointy end of the pick & getting down into it with a bit of depth the signal finally moved.
      Bingo....a sassy bit of gold. 

.65 of a gram 👍
      Before backfilling the dig, & like I always do I re scanned the pile & the dig hole. Wham....a screamer of a signal from the top end of the opened up crevice. Raking out the crevice again with the pointy end of the pick the signal was still in there. I had to to hack into the crevice more to open it up wider. Raking it again the signal was out.

Ye Ha 1.23 grams.👍👍

So two bits out of the one crevice.

I had literally just dropped the bike, rigged up & got into it. Not even 5 minutes.
      Bike, Backpack & dig hole on the edge of a drop off into a tail race. The tail race being where that bush growth & long grass is. Pink flowers on the sweet briar rose bush above the detector. Horrible plant. Introduced by the Chinese gold miners for making rose hip tea & its vitamin C properties.

I would have only been there one hour when the rain did come & I had to high tail it out of there. Those were the only two bits I got. By the time I was back to my wagon it was raining pretty hard. Even sleeting. But I was happy to get what I did. The mighty Zed does it again. 

Cheers.
      Good luck out there
      JW 
    • By Steve Herschbach
      From http://Garrett Facebook page:

• By idahogold
      😂😏😎😃🙃🤩😝Go ShaneOz! Tops to Ya" Enjoy! Ig  

• By kiwijw
      Last Thursday/Friday we had some very consistent rain. Two days & two nights of pretty heavy rain. That is very unusual for the Queenstown area. It didnt seem that cold but when it cleared snow was low down in the hills. This from our front door. Still a bit cloudy.

By late afternoon it had stopped raining so I decided to get out for a local detect. I ended up going back to the last little spot where I got 3 bits for .76 of a gram . With the wet ground I liked my chances of getting more off the same ground. I E-Biked in there & there was snow on the tops.
      This looking across to a lateral glacial moraine that has been cut through by that trickle of water over time. This trickle is usually dry & only flows with snow melt or heavy rain.

Looking in the opposite direction more snow on the tops & schist bedrock in the foreground that has had gold in it.

Despite my confidence the signals were not coming. I finally got a signal over some bedrock that I had detected the time before & had got nothing. This time it was a definite signal. The damp ground had brought it to life.

Hacking into the schist bedrock & peeling it out before the signal finally had moved. It still took a bit to isolate it & get it in my hand. But gold it was.

.22 of a gram. But that was it. Oh well....at least I beat the skunk.
      The next day Mrs JW was keen to go out somewhere. She had twisted her ankle badly & has been two weeks on crutches. She was sick of being cooped up inside & not able to get around very easily. She wanted a change of scenery & was content to just head off up into the hills. Even if it still meant just sitting in my truck. So off we went. I hadn't been detecting over this way for quite a while & the last two months has been lambing time so I had not really even considered it. I called in to see the farmer & to ask which paddocks to keep out of. He said the lambs were far enough advanced & I could go anywhere. So that was good. I was amazed to see how much snow they had over this way up in the hills. He told me that they had had 58mm of rain in the last two days. That is close to two & a half inches. The grass had gone mental so that wasn't going to be too good for my detecting. Good for the farmer though as this time of the year it can be pretty dry. I decided to go higher up in the hills where hopefully the grass growth hadn't gone too crazy. I got over to Doug's Gully, as l call it, & dropped down into it. Mrs JW had no phone signal down in the gully so I drove up to the top of the spur for her. Meant I had to walk back down. 

A few days earlier that snow in the background was all gone.
      Oh well.....down to the gully & the old turned over gully floor piles.

I have detected this gully countless times with all my gold detectors & I usually always still come away with some gold. Albeit small bits these days. What would today hold? I was backing the wet conditions & damp ground to really help me out here. I took down the Zed & the GB2. I still have a soft spot for the GB2. It has found me numerous small bits down there but so to has the Gold Monster. But I chose the GB2 today. In fact I started with the GB2 as I wasn't feeling very confident with the Zed. On getting down to the gully floor & in all the times I have been down here I have never ever seen any water in this gully. Let alone any flowing water. There is a first time for everything.

5 minutes into it I had my very first signal.

Could have been a shogun pellet.

But it wasn't .03 of a gram.
      10 feet away another signal. Purple flowers are wild thyme bush flowers. It is that time of the year.

Another small bit of gold.

Looking up the gully & the old turned over piles.

Looking down gully

I decided to detect down the gully. Nothing for an hour & a half but shot gun pellets. I worked my way back up to the Zed with no more gold to show. So I swapped over to the Zed & retired the GB2. It had saved a skunk any way. I wasnt too long in getting a nice mellow signal with the Zed.

The photo doesn't do justice to the depth of the dig but it was a bit of gold.

I was just detecting the old timer piles as I have done countless times before. The damp conditions were certainly giving me an edge today. Another signal. This looking up the gully & over a few of the old piles.

Another bit of the good stuff. But small.

.03 of a gram with the Zed & its 14" coil.
      I was on fire.

The signals & gold kept coming off these piles

And the signals kept coming

As did the gold

Looking down gully. The back filled hole to the right of the GB2 was the last piece.

This the next piece & ended up being my last before heading out.

All up 7 pieces for just .89 of a gram. 2 for the GB2 & 5 for the mighty Zed. The damp conditions helping me out again.

The next day was my E-Bike mission with Simon of which you have had that story from Simon, Phrunt.
      These are the two bits that I ended up with.

Cheers.
      Good luck out there
      JW