UK Gold More Than A Myth

Thanks for the offer John, though I may very well go back to Colchester as I had a great time there. Check out the website at http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.ukin the finds area for pages and pages and pages of fabulous gold finds in the Colchester area.

Most of the focus there for the guys hunting are the Celtic gold coins but I think some of the medieval hammered gold coins are more impressive.

I don't blame you because those Celtic Gold coins are harder to find than Natural Gold over here and that is a struggle, They did find one on Time Team and I have only seen one Quarter Stater in all these years but It was not me who found it, but I live in hope,

Here is a beautiful Medieval Gold Noble that was found on Time Team by a detectorist using an Xterra, I hope the link works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcMNbQOFyD8

I just got back from a two week hunt in Colchester.  What an adventure!!  No gold except for a small piece of Victorian gold jewelry.  Most of my finds were silver coins, both hammered and milled, and one Roman bronze. There were two nice gold finds in our group, including a stunning Queen Anne gold coin.  It and all of our groups finds can be viewed in the "Oct Finds" of the Colchester web site that Steve mentioned above.  I was using an XP Deus which seems to be getting very popular for hunting in the UK. Steve, I hope you make it back there next year.  I'm sure there is a Celtic gold stater with your name on it somewhere  :)

• Like 2

I just got back from a two week hunt in Colchester.  What an adventure!!  No gold except for a small piece of Victorian gold jewelry.  Most of my finds were silver coins, both hammered and milled, and one Roman bronze. There were two nice gold finds in our group, including a stunning Queen Anne gold coin.  It and all of our groups finds can be viewed in the "Oct Finds" of the Colchester web site that Steve mentioned above.  I was using an XP Deus which seems to be getting very popular for hunting in the UK. Steve, I hope you make it back there next year.  I'm sure there is a Celtic gold stater with your name on it somewhere  :)

Congrats on your finds, The XP is about the best machine for these sites over here, ever since the Gold Maxx power came out the XP's have been the hottest machines on these Hammered Coins, I am thinking one day I might buy one when my other projects are underway,

john

Colchester was one of the biggest roman locations in the UK and yes you will of course tend to find more roman coins/artifacts in that area just because of the hugh amount of activity rather than some locations that never had any form of roman occupation.

Must admit i have been detecting for a very long time all over the country including roman areas as well,have found celtic gold full and quarter staters,George111 Guinea and Viccy gold sovereigns as well,but that was spread over many years and must admit i have found more than some folks who have been detecting longer than me.

What gets me is that these detecting trips that are organised to bring folks across the pond to detect on a 2 week detecting jolly seem to find more gold in those locations that what we do,have never figured that one out,you look on the Colchester website and you will find some nice gold coins,staters,sovereign and also multiples on these digs,but we could go for a very long time duration without finding any gold coins,we do find many many silver hammered coins and staters but gold hammered coins are very rare and even these are the holy grail for us,but someone from the other side of the pond always seems to find something decent :) i guess these 2 week detecting trips must be big business  :D 

Interesting question you bring up and since this was my first trip to Colchester I can only give you my opinion as a "Newbie".  First off, I would call it "hardcore" detecting.  By that I mean we were up at 5:30am each day, quick breakfast, pack our gear and after a quick drive we were in the fields by around 7:00am to 7:30am.  Detected non stop all day until around 6:00pm with a quick sack lunch at noon.  Rain or shine we were out there.  Weather co-operated most of the days I was there with one exception where it rained steadily all day. Everyone had rain suits and rubber boots but by the end of the day we were whipped and covered with mud.  I'm thinking that when you put a dozen detectorists out in the field, day after day, detecting non-stop the odds are in your favor of finding gold and other good things.  I did a lot of research on metal detecting tours in the UK before making my decision on going to Colchester and one of the reasons I chose them was because of their reputation for doing the right thing.  Having said that I would love to go back but not sure if my 71 year old body could take it.  I haven't exerted myself that much physically since my year in Vietnam many moons ago.  

• Like 2

That across the pond trip is a dream of mine - I'm sure others will feel the same.

Wow what a series "Time Team" is (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=time+team),

unbelievably cool to watch if you have the time.

• Like 1

That across the pond trip is a dream of mine - I'm sure others will feel the same.

Wow what a series "Time Team" is (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=time+team),

unbelievably cool to watch if you have the time.

Yeah you must watch as many of them as you can, When Phil Harding was a young ARKIE he worked on a dig where they Discovered 55,000 coins in a pot, As long as his Beer is there at the end of the day he is a happy man, I have watched them find Roman Mosaic floors, Roman Temples even stuff back to the stone Age, Some of the finds are incredible, Glad you liked it,

John

Not sure why, but having been to Wanlockhead and Leadhills several times, and knowing people who have prospected that area for years and cleaned the rivers back to bedrock, I find the original article a bit fishy...

I would think that like most prospectors the finder is not giving the right location because he would loose his spot and end up being invaded, So I would not read too much in to it, I think most of us would do the same, In fact I had to because I found about 16 grams of Gold and the Local shop found out and did their best to get it out of me,

John