Equinox Coil Mod

As some know I broke a coil ear. So I have modified a coil to more durable specifications. Like all my coils this one is able to be used without a coil cover, which is important for water/beach hunting. 

I have done three different steps:  1. I removed the middle cross brace [the coil is over braced!] 2. Epoxied on a coil support piece, followed by epoxying a side plate on each side made out of a piece of plastic wheel barrel. 3. Adding shoe good to the underside open portions of the coil and epoxying the actual coil spots. 

Coil weight before project. 16.15 oz, Coil weight after project 16.16   Weight loss of middle brace and coil cover: 2.82oz.

Never having black sand , water weight or EARS THAT WILL BREAK, priceless! 

Here is a,  did you know. Did you know the coil bolt can hold about a tablespoon of sand/dirt. Tip: Get rid of it and go to a nylon bolt! 

image.png

coil 2.jpg

coil 3.jpg

Just a suggestion:  don't enter this in the county fair beauty contest.  😏  But if it works, that's what counts.

30 minutes ago, midalake said:

Did you know the coil bolt can hold about a tablespoon of sand/dirt. Tip: Get rid of it and go to a nylon bolt!

I assume you're referring to the hollow underside of the bolt head and similarly, the nut that is supplied with all Equinox coils.  I've never been much of a fan of nylon myself, as it stretches and is so soft it damages easily.  Of all my detectors, my White's TDI has the best bolt, IMO.  5/16 inch diameter (not the typical 1/4" of the competitors) and you can replace it with toilet seat bolts from any hardware store in a pinch.  (Saying that, those toilet seat bolts might be nylon...  🥴.)

Delrin (aka acetal) or PVC is a better plastic, IMO.  Probably harder to find, but McMaster Carr (in the USA) has them.  They have everything!

39 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I've never been much of a fan of nylon myself, as it stretches and is so soft it damages easily. 

I kind of used Nylon as a generic term [but I get it] .  However the Nox bolts being 5/16, I have never had issues with 5/16 nylon? I also double nut! 

• Like 1

No beauty, but I hope it hold up for a long time, a new coil is not a cheap item.

------

I always wondered what the bolt supplied with Fisher/Tek machines is made of. It's a commercial bolt made from some engineering plastic, possibly like PEEK, that's been over-moulded by FT with some softer plastic like nylon to create the big knurled head. The nut is what it appears to be, no 'embedded' high-strength nut. PEEK fasteners seem to be seriously expensive in small quantities, maybe they become more cost-effective when 1000's are purchased? The bolt could be glass-filled plastic, that would certainly be cheaper.

They seem pretty sturdy, considering they aren't that large in diameter.

• Like 1