Equinox Saving Personal Program 800

User Profile question...

If I were to utilize the User Profile feature to only toggle 4 kHz mode from my Park 1 Multi settings (thanks Sinclair for that suggestion), one would need to ground balance and noise cancel this User profile first before using it in the area a person is detecting??

I also wonder if User Profile utilizes the internally weighted frequencies and predefined ground balance maximizing algorithms of the detecting Mode you saved there (i.e. Park 1, Field 2, etc) ??  On second thought,  I imagine if you saved a single frequency (4 kHz) in the user profile, then the info I described in the previous sentence wouldn’t apply...because those internal stored features for each Detect Mode are only applicable for multi-frequency mode...Hmmm 🤔

I like this utilization of the User Profile (if I wanted to toggle 4 kHz freq),  since I couldn’t come up with a reason to utilize User Profile on my machine yet.

Yes, Dan, that is the way to do it.  You can search with Park 1 and interrogate the target with a saved 4 khz version of Park 1.  And yes each frequency or Multi IQ "variation" needs to be noise cancelled and ground balanced individually for the site conditions.  The reason being the Multi IQ frequency profile will react differently to EMI and the ground conditions than 4 khz (or 5 khz, etc) and Park 1 Multi will react differently than Park 2 Multi, Field 1 Multi, etc.  I just tried this in my test garden got a Ground Balance reading of 15 in Park 1 Multi and 23 in 4 khz.  The User Profile slot merely copies everything you have set up presently in Detect mode (including the noise cancel setting and GB setting) into the slot  and all underlying user adjustable settings (disc pattern , tone customization, recovery speed, and iron bias (if applicable - see below).  You can then edit the user profile "local settings" (disc pattern, tones, etc.) to your liking and it will retain the settings.  If you want to change the detect mode basis for the user profile then you have to switch back to detect mode, select the mode you want to save into the user profile slot and overwrite the old mode setting in the slot.

Note also that when you go to single frequency in any of the Park/Field modes (Beach is multi only and Gold is its own animal), you are basically removing the Multi IQ DNA that forms most of the "personality" of each mode.  All that is left are the "local"  user settings (disc pattern, tone customizations, and recovery speed).  Note also, in single frequency, iron bias is no longer present at all as a setting.  This essentially means that regardless of which Park or Field mode you use to go to single frequency, the target response will be the same, save for the disc, tone customizations, and recovery speed settings (and of course noise cancel/ground balance). 

I have taken advantage of the Custom User Profile slot for target interrogation since Day 1.  What I usually like to do is pick my optimal "search mode" for the target objective and site conditions.  Usually, Field 2 - I like to relic hunt in hot soil conditions and then use a complimentary mode to interrogate an iffy signal (Say Field 2 Multi search and Park 1 Multi or Gold Mode in the Custom User Profile slot). I like this clean new single frequency mode, so may make greater use of it as an interrogation mode.  Especially useful for a high conductive target hunter such as yourself.  HTH

• Like 2

Here's a point I had trouble with:

Starting out creating a fresh Profile mode, outside of Profile, defining all your settings you plan on putting into Profile.  When done with that, press and hold down the profile button for 2 or 3 seconds to move those settings into profile mode.  Return to standard search mode by either pushing the profile button (don't need to keep it compressed for long) or pressing the detect mode button.

At this point you have your Profile set up the way you intended.  But now you need to adjust for your standard mode setup.  Once you do that, start detecting.  You can now toggle back and forth between standard and Profile.

But here is where it gets a bit more interesting.  Suppose you decide that you want to tweak your profile settings (but not change anything major such as mode or frequency in Profile).  E.g. you want to change the recovery speed.  Press and release the Profile button (look for the Profile icon on the screen) to get into Profile.  Make your change (in the example, adjust recovery speed).  You don't have to do any more.  Your profile will be in its new configuration.  And your standard mode will be where you left it.  You can again toggle between the two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Yes, Dan, that is the way to do it.   

Note also, in single frequency, iron bias is no longer present at all as a setting.  

I like this clean new single frequency mode, so may make greater use of it as an interrogation mode.  Especially useful for a high conductive target hunter such as yourself.  HTH

Chase, I asked this in another thread just a few moments ago, but why (in more technical terms) is Iron Bias not applicable to single frequency modes?  Why is IB only a “filter” for Multi-freq operation??

1 hour ago, Raphis said:

Chase, I asked this in another thread just a few moments ago, but why (in more technical terms) is Iron Bias not applicable to single frequency modes?  Why is IB only a “filter” for Multi-freq operation??

The is an informed guess, Dan, because of course, Minelab is not talking.  In the simplest explanation (the way I look at it), the iron bias filter takes advantage of the fact that the ferrous and non-ferrous signal components of a ferrous target respond differently to varying frequencies.  That is why ferrous targets false differently depending on what operating frequency you are using (and why certain operating frequencies enhance high and low conductor target signals differently).  So the iron bias filter relies on the fact that you are hitting the ferrous target with multiple frequencies and it is interpreting the results of the target response to make an informed guess as to whether a detected non-ferrous signal component is simply part of a ferrous target (i.e., falsing) because of its response and the response of the accompanying ferrous signal at different the frequencies.  The iron bias filter strength will tend make the non-ferrous (falsing) component sound more like a ferrous signal at higher settings.  Of course it can be fooled by a non-ferrous target in close proximity to a ferrous target, resulting in complete masking of the non-ferrous target if set too high (no free lunch).  But bottom line, it needs a multifrequency transmit signal to be able to do its thing, so it is not operational in single frequency.

Multifrequency also enhances compensation for a less than ideal ground balance, cancelling out salt or alkali soil ground components, better normalizes target response independent of target size and composition, and enhances target ID at depth (notice the TID up averaging that occurs in 4 khz single).  HTH

• Like 1

That’s a very good, educated guess, Chase!  
 I will 

46 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

..... So the iron bias filter relies on the fact that you are hitting the ferrous target with multiple frequencies and it is interpreting the results of the target response to make an informed guess as to whether a detected non-ferrous signal component is simply part of a ferrous target........  But bottom line, it needs a multifrequency transmit signal to be able to do its thing, so it is not operational in single frequency.

Sounds like a very good, educated guess! 👍🏼
I’ve already committed that to my memory for future reference...

Thanks....

• Like 1

Multifrequency brings a lot to the table, but I am glad that ML saw fit to give us many single frequency options on the Equinox.  Wish they had provided one single frequency mode, at least, to the higher end Vanquish and adjustable ground balance.  Would have closed the features gap to the Equinox 600 but at a great price to performance ratio.

18 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Multifrequency brings a lot to the table, but I am glad that ML saw fit to give us many single frequency options on the Equinox.  Wish they had provided one single frequency mode, at least, to the higher end Vanquish and adjustable ground balance.  Would have closed the features gap to the Equinox 600 but at a great price to performance ratio.

....and adjustable noise cancel...without having to re-power the machine back up

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Raphis said:

....and adjustable noise cancel...without having to re-power the machine back up

As we further hijack this thread :laugh:, one more wish for Vanquish, wish the individual mode settings (e.g., discrimination pattern) simply remained in permanent memory like the way mode settings are saved on Equinox. The single custom slot is insufficient for dealing with the discrimination pattern you have to use on each mode to cancel out ground noise due to the fixed GB setting.

• Like 1