Well.. It Finally Happened...

I think ML should just alter their injection "recipe" to beef up the existing molds! Little cost to add some carbon fibers, or some other wonder material in the mix! And keep on top of the market!

I doubt that they will ever go to the expense of creating new molds to do the job! Better to do what Chase suggested, except for the higher price part, which i feel we have already paid the premium for, in the first place! 👍👍

Yet another plus for a Nokta Simplex, you can throw that whole detector in the air and let it bounce off the ground and it will never hurt it. LOL Ive seen a local doing it all the time to prove the point. I wouldnt do it with the NOX lol

• Like 2

I thought it will never happen to me, but 1 ear on mine has broken. Glued it back and it holds it seems. I think the problem is rather with the rubber shims that are inconsistently grippy in dry wet or dust, putting too much strain on the hinge. Have put thin plastic shims to reduce the friction and so far it seems ok and easy to flatten the coil against the ground if needed. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Okara,  were I in your shoes and doing that much water hunting, I'd make that Excal my primary detector...for sure.

Just the view from my beach hunting foxhole....

• Like 2

Do these aftermarket items solve the problem?  I searched Ebay with "Minelab Equinox ear" and several different ones resulted.  I just posted one of them (-- I know 'Sunray').

I'm thinking along the lines of the cliche' "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".  I don't have them but I don't water hunt, either.  (Brings up another cliche':  "Do what I say, not what I do."  😉)

• Like 2

Hey GB,

I've been wondering about those myself!

I have just begun to get into more saltwater hunting! And wondered if i needed one; and also a secondary handle, so i don't break the pod mounts! Like someone else 👀 we know!! I'm sticking to the stock shaft for now! And I'm almost done setting up my new waterproof earbuds; not headphones!

I would love input from you dedicated Nox ocean hunters!👍👍

7 hours ago, ColonelDan said:

Okara,  were I in your shoes and doing that much water hunting, I'd make that Excal my primary detector...for sure.

Just the view from my beach hunting foxhole....

Just used the Excalibur today in the water. I do run it in pinpoint mode and enjoy hearing the threshold. (I grew up on machines with thresholds). Perhaps it is time to use it more often. I do think the Nox is more sensitive to smaller objects but I'd rather trade that off than have another breakdown especially a leak. Another thing... Minelab replaced the control pod as I stated in the original post. I wonder just how well the new one is waterproofed? My original one that broke was used constantly in the water for over 2 years with no problems there. It's always a crap shoot with these things. 3 silvers for the Excal today.

Bob K

3 silvers.jpeg

• Like 2