mn90403

Night Hunt With Nearly Full Moon

Great story and finds, sounds like you might need some advil. Nothing better than a beach with the moon, stars and a little bit O treasure. 150 holes, you my friend have some stamina!!! I would have called it a night at 75. Great stuff!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

I live in Southern California and we have many beaches where you can detect all night long.  If you have never done a night hunt I highly recommend them.  Now is a good time to go out because the moon is nearly full.  Most of my hunt last night I turned off my light and just enjoyed the clear skies, stars, planets and moon.  The comet is long gone when I get out at midnight but the moon is directly above.  I watched it set several hours later.

One of the reasons I went out was because I read a surf report that said waves had come from a direction that makes one of my beaches 'come alive' with targets if they are big enough.  I went out before dark and I didn't see any of these 5 ft waves so I was skeptical.  When I got to my area there was a cut.  Not a big one but bigger than any in a long time.  So on a relative scale it was big.

I worked my way along it and immediately started finding shallow quarters.  Shallow is one or two scoops with an 8" basket scoop.  It was fun.  I followed the cut quickly just in case someone else came out (they did) and then I doubled back later in the session.  There were lots of targets.  I dug over 150 by my actual count.  There were 34 quarters, 30 dimes, 20 nickels and 40 pennies.  I also found some micro jewelry (lets me know I'm not always going too fast) and a couple of cheap rings.  That represents well over 500 digs with my pull it towards me scoop.  I couldn't work a beach like this with a shovel scoop.  

I couldn't find ringsville last night but I was searching the patch diligently for it.  IMG_8752.thumb.JPG.13badec4c057330fb97d44a2d2b8fb6c.JPGIMG_8754.thumb.JPG.e1911fc12f03a95a5d01b7a7af20a506.JPGIMG_8755.thumb.JPG.cae0f09ccadd4e9e7c825023dd252fdb.JPGBetter luck next time.

Nice target volume. I will be in Orange County tonight. You ?

• Thanks 1

That is a good haul/workout.

• Thanks 1

Fantastic hunt just wish I had a beach near me.

Good luck on your next hunting trip.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, King-Of-Bling said:

Nice target volume. I will be in Orange County tonight. You ?

I might have to take a break but I wouldn't be down that far.  I've done some night hunts down there but you kinda have to make friends with the beach groomers and stay away from the dry sand.

• Like 1

I was out there last night and I agree- I love hunting under a full moon in shorts and a t-shirt and digging targets. Still dark, though, and you have to have your head on a swivel to avoid unwanted surprises. Congrats on all the clad although it's unfortunate that you worked so hard and found so many targets without being rewarded with some nice jewelry.

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

I might have to take a break but I wouldn't be down that far.  I've done some night hunts down there but you kinda have to make friends with the beach groomers and stay away from the dry sand.

Towel line has been packed. There are cuts.

• Like 1

Wow! That's a lot of Digging! A good workout and cash to show for it! 

I remember hunting nights at the ocean, kind of miss it..........can't do that anymore. I'm out of the water before the sunsets now. 

• Like 1

At least you got your beer money! And memories of an idyllic ocean night.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Skullgolddiver
      It happen... Anytime I check the wind radar hours before to go wet and I see something similar, the dreaming child in me wake up and high hopes follows the wind arrows.
      In some days even in Europe we will see the effect of this hurricane even if highly reduced in the force.
      Sunday afternoon I've seen an underrated profile by the TV and YouTube live for the weather.
      Right now, knowing well what that colours means I think someone near Orlando is living really a nightmare.
      (With great respect for all those on the Florida East coast and I hope all of You are safe and closed at home far from shore.)

• By Bash
      A few weeks ago, inspired by some threads in the jewelry forum, I started shifting my focus from cherry picking coins, to digging possible jewelry signals using the Equinox 800.  I actually started finding some, as shown in the first picture below.  I was becoming a little frustrated, as (with the exception of one tiny silver ring), all I was finding was “crap” jewelry. 

That changed this morning.  It’s been getting wicked hot here in Montana, so I’ve been out in the parks early.  I was in one of the main city parks this morning (A park I’ve pulled a ton of coins out of, including a couple of Mercs and a war nickel), searching a different section away from the stage area where they have concerts, etc., when I got a solid 18/19 signal, consistent in all directions. I’ve dug many, many signals in this range, and most turn out to be some sort of can tab, but those signals have always been kind of "janky" and change or disappear with the direction of the swing.  This one did not. I pinpointed. I dug.  The target was right at the bottom of the plug. A glint of gold!  I popped it out with my finger to reveal my first gold find!  4.74 grams of 10k plain gold band, with a current melt value of almost $125.00!

Yes, I did a gold dance!

This one find helped codify what signals I could/should/might be looking for.  I know it’s not the end all be all, but the signal was SO strong and clear compared to all the aluminum tabs I’ve dug, the contrast was revelatory.  I feel I’ve made a huge leap in understanding.

The ring has an inscription and a date from 20 years ago, so I think I will put a craigslist ad in lost and found.

Still a noob.

~Bash

• By Skullgolddiver
      Last week, I had two days to hunt in the morning and no more than 4 total hours in the water, before people came to swim around me. Summer is the time when I hate the most questions and how much time is lost when people crowd the shore.
      In my area it seems an insane habit to ask beyond the limit of decency ... Not that I am full of words and patience in this case.
      However, without high expectations, I was in the usual super drained place by I don't know how many other hunters and with some method, I slowly hunted a relatively small area.
      I have done this because the almost total absence of sand makes it difficult to say where to start and where to end, without a clear idea of particular clues, stuff can be everywhere trapped down.
      Of the few signals left, in the first day I dug a heavy piece, which was so old, was now almost red. A thick bracelet after years without to see one of them!
      The heaviest single good target I have found since I started in 2005.
      In the same place, the second day, meters closer to that magical signal, another bracelet, this time thin, but still as heavy as two wedding rings ... In addition, a small earring with a stone that seems fake to me, closed the short time left.
      In total 30 grams of beloved 18k in 4 hours, a bit more, maybe...
      What a week...What a dream...

• By Dances With Doves
      For me I have 7  gold rings that were all found with the  Nox in the water. There were 5 in lake Ontario and  2 in  the Finger lakes. I have a streak of 4 days in a row in the big lake with 2 in one day. 
    • By Compass
      Took my new chain rake and my Equinox 800 for an all day lake hunt and spent around 10 hours in the water. During the first couple of hours I pulled the rake and found my first gold chain although it is low carat according to my acid test. Using the rake is not only physically demanding, it is boring IMO. At least when metal detecting you are always finding something even if it is trash. With the rake I can pull it 10-20 times and....nothing. It kind of wears you down- not only physically but mentally. I still need to play with it some more to dial in the weighting and technique but it won't be replacing my detectors (not that I expected it would). 🙂
      Once I switched to the Equinox I started to find targets right away. Using the 6" coil in Gold 2 mode I dug every positive repeating Target ID. After about 2 hours of detecting I found my first ring of the day, a 2.6 gram, 14K, white gold band. As I recall it rang up around "7" on the Nox and there was something about the signal that sounded so promising that I almost expected to see something good in the scoop. It sure was a pretty sight in the sunlight after all my recent night hunts!
      After a while I moved to a different part of the lake and that is where I found 2 more gold rings, 2 silver rings and a silver heart pendant and chain. One of the gold rings is a real beauty- 2.5 grams of 14K rose gold with a square cut, lavender colored stone surrounded by small diamonds. The picture doesn't really do it justice.

Coin-wise I did pretty well although I was surprised that I found so many nickels. Lots of dimes too but not surprising as that 6" coil hits them pretty easily. I usually find more quarters at this location but there is a coin shortage out there I hear. Thanks for reading. GL&HH!