Night Hunt With Nearly Full Moon

Great story and finds, sounds like you might need some advil. Nothing better than a beach with the moon, stars and a little bit O treasure. 150 holes, you my friend have some stamina!!! I would have called it a night at 75. Great stuff!!!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

I live in Southern California and we have many beaches where you can detect all night long.  If you have never done a night hunt I highly recommend them.  Now is a good time to go out because the moon is nearly full.  Most of my hunt last night I turned off my light and just enjoyed the clear skies, stars, planets and moon.  The comet is long gone when I get out at midnight but the moon is directly above.  I watched it set several hours later.

One of the reasons I went out was because I read a surf report that said waves had come from a direction that makes one of my beaches 'come alive' with targets if they are big enough.  I went out before dark and I didn't see any of these 5 ft waves so I was skeptical.  When I got to my area there was a cut.  Not a big one but bigger than any in a long time.  So on a relative scale it was big.

I worked my way along it and immediately started finding shallow quarters.  Shallow is one or two scoops with an 8" basket scoop.  It was fun.  I followed the cut quickly just in case someone else came out (they did) and then I doubled back later in the session.  There were lots of targets.  I dug over 150 by my actual count.  There were 34 quarters, 30 dimes, 20 nickels and 40 pennies.  I also found some micro jewelry (lets me know I'm not always going too fast) and a couple of cheap rings.  That represents well over 500 digs with my pull it towards me scoop.  I couldn't work a beach like this with a shovel scoop.  

I couldn't find ringsville last night but I was searching the patch diligently for it.  IMG_8752.thumb.JPG.13badec4c057330fb97d44a2d2b8fb6c.JPGIMG_8754.thumb.JPG.e1911fc12f03a95a5d01b7a7af20a506.JPGIMG_8755.thumb.JPG.cae0f09ccadd4e9e7c825023dd252fdb.JPGBetter luck next time.

Nice target volume. I will be in Orange County tonight. You ?

• Thanks 1

Fantastic hunt just wish I had a beach near me.

Good luck on your next hunting trip.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, King-Of-Bling said:

Nice target volume. I will be in Orange County tonight. You ?

I might have to take a break but I wouldn't be down that far.  I've done some night hunts down there but you kinda have to make friends with the beach groomers and stay away from the dry sand.

• Like 1

I was out there last night and I agree- I love hunting under a full moon in shorts and a t-shirt and digging targets. Still dark, though, and you have to have your head on a swivel to avoid unwanted surprises. Congrats on all the clad although it's unfortunate that you worked so hard and found so many targets without being rewarded with some nice jewelry.

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

I might have to take a break but I wouldn't be down that far.  I've done some night hunts down there but you kinda have to make friends with the beach groomers and stay away from the dry sand.

Towel line has been packed. There are cuts.

• Like 1

Wow! That's a lot of Digging! A good workout and cash to show for it! 

I remember hunting nights at the ocean, kind of miss it..........can't do that anymore. I'm out of the water before the sunsets now. 

• Like 1