Has The New Update Changed Bottlecap Rejection

I ran pk1 50 tone f2-7 and I dug over 50 bottlecaps  since  they repeated a nice sound.I could usually tell a pulltab or ring because of the softer sound but I wanted to see how the update might have changed things.It seems  the bottlecaps had a more broken sound   before even though the settings were the same.I did manage to get a 3.2  gram14k white gold band in very deep water so    at least  I was rewarded  for digging all those caps.

• Like 2

Strange, bottlecaps usually give me a distinctive flutey multi-tone (in 50 tones) similar to a multi-denominational coin spill (which is easily differentiated by using pinpoint) and a nice iron grunt off the edge (especially with high iron bias).  Were you running multi F (I guess yes since you were  referencing an IB setting)?  Also, I take it this was fresh water since you were running Park 1 and not Beach in the water.  I frankly would not not expect bottlecap response in multi F to change at all with this update.

try fiddling with your swing speed over suspected bottle caps.    Ie.: a momentarily faster clip.   And then do the same for coins.   You might be able to discern the caps vs the coins by the way they react to slower vs faster swing over them.  

• Like 2

One thing I've wondered -- do new bottlecaps give similar tone signals to old (partially or completely rusted) ones?  Steve H. talked about hearing the grunt from the edge of large (can sized) pieces of flat metal at old mine sites.  From my experience those trash targets tend to be selectively rusted on the edges.  When I do dig bottlecaps (they are scarce enough in my grounds that I don't go out of my way to avoid them), the corrugated edges appear to rust first, and eventually the entire cap.  I seldom get the fresh littered ones as are apparently found in plentiful numbers on USA beaches, so I don't know if those are easily distinguished using high IB, as the rustier ones seem to be.  My limited observations could be simply a selection effect, though.

The only time I’ve gotten solid dig signals on bottle caps was when experimenting with F and F2 settings over 2.  I usually alternate between FandF2 set to 0 and bottlecaps always give inconsistent responses with a definite iron edge to the tones.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Noah (FL) said:

The only time I’ve gotten solid dig signals on bottle caps was when experimenting with F and F2 settings over 2.  I usually alternate between FandF2 set to 0 and bottlecaps always give inconsistent responses with a definite iron edge to the tones.  

Recall that FE=0 corresponds to F2=4.  When I was playing around with a crown cap that I had found (partially rusted) I noticed a significant change in amount of iron grunts going from F2=2 to F2=3.  But that was just one crown cap.

Thanks everybody.Since this was the   first time in this  update I dug more then I normally  would just to learn.I can tell by pulling away by the iron grunts that they  were caps  and   I just wanted to make sure.The pulltabs and  rings gave a much softer sound.The only problem was it took a few more seconds to investigate where  I did not have to do it as much  before.I did a FP so maybe I forgot to change a certain setting back. At least I got rid  of over 50 caps from this   beautiful  Finger lake.I did also get a 1917 low eagle standing liberty  25 cent coin and 13 gram part of a  chain that seems to be silver but is bent. In this lake setting we want to cover as much  ground as possible without stopping unless the target  is good . A half mile by about    850 feet is the  area we hunt in the water.We probably cover 3 miles in a 8 hour hunt going back and forth.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

I did also get a 1917 low eagle standing liberty  25 cent coin and 13 gram part of a  chain that seems to be silver but is bent.

Those sound great.  How about sharing a photo here?

In a Lake Ontario sandbar hunt My width is from  top of bar to neck deep water which is about 40   feet.Because of wave action there is not as many targets on top of bar because the waves remove lighter targets plus it's very easy digging.The hotter  sand also skews signals so you want to dig deeper targets because deep  rings may sound iffy.A total different    strategy  from my  Finger lake spot.You have to  adjust to the situation.This beach is about a mile long and I am not worried about caps here since targets are scarce on top of bar and around it most of the time.Last time here I dug a 1 .7 gram  nugget earring  using the gold mode to get this 10k target.It gave me a nice zip sound.

It was my   blunder  now that I  realized I was in Fe instead   of f2. I tried  the f2-7 setting and all  is well.i did the factory preset 5  minutes before I went in water so I probably did not realize my mistake. I am glad now. Thanks      for your help.This lake is  stingy on gold now so maybe digging over 50 bottle caps is was  is needed  for  this lake to cough up a piece of  gold.

• Like 4