Has The New Update Changed Bottlecap Rejection

If you hunted in 4kz. for silver coins in a bottle cap infested site it would drive you crazy and you would be constantly be checking in multi to see what it is.If you hunt in multi first then check in 4kz. it would be much easier. You are doing it the right way Simon. If caps are not a problem 4kz  first is fine as long as you are not getting to many up average targets  which will   hinder   you  in    getting more  silver  because you will be digging  more junk.. 

6 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

If you hunted in 4kz. for silver coins in a bottle cap infested site it would drive you crazy and you would be constantly be checking in multi to see what it is.If you hunt in multi first then check in 4kz. it would be much easier.

I thought the point of 4 kHz used for silver coin hunting was that it would pick up the deep targets that Multifrequency would miss.

I just read this thread for the first time and it reminded me of my sounds at the beach since the update.  My experience has been that many targets sound 'better' and that is not always good.  Maybe I will have to use some iron bias which I do not now.

I remember telling someone recently that when you hear that ring sound you won't forget it.  My last few hunts I have been hearing that 'ring sound' quite often and I don't get a ring.  I've attributed it to the sound being more full on all targets than before.  My beach 1 targets now sound like the park 1 targets.  I can hear the targets better but I am fooled into thinking this is a good target and I must look at the screen more and look at the numbers.

Sometimes those good sounding targets have been caps and other times other pieces.

Time to hunt a beach.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I thought the point of 4 kHz used for silver coin hunting was that it would pick up the deep targets that Multifrequency would miss.

You are right but if bottle caps sound like a coin it could make for some difficult hunting if the caps sound like coins and if there  is a lot of bottle caps.In a lot of places caps might not be a  problem so you would be fine.If you are in a silver hotspot you could dig all the caps and see what silver they are masking if you have the patients.Always be ready to adapt these days because silver has gotten much tougher in many spots.There might be a 1916-D merc with your name waiting for you.I had a 1895-O barber dime waiting for me along with a 1895 and  1901-S too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mn90403 said:

My experience has been that many targets sound 'better' and that is not always good.  Maybe I will have to use some iron bias which I do not now.

I can elaborate on IB. Because the 1,2 and 5 peso coin rings in ferrous from -3 to -6 I run Iron bias of 4-5. This keeps these coins in check for falsing. 

My other saved program that I use for checking "iffy" signals has an Iron bias of zero. 

Anytime I go to my other program I ask myself, am I digging this target or not?  Out of all the times I been undecided and then checking with the other program. NOT ONCE have I found a target of worth.  

Now there is not a huge amount of targets that change my mind when I look with the second program, but still an accurate summary of actual events. 

The Equinox is a very powerful discriminator. One needs to trust the machine! 

• Like 1