New Vanquish Update 1.61

Adds iron volume and some other stuff. https://www.minelab.com/usa/vanquish-software-update-1

VANQUISH 540 Iron Volume Control

Detecting in heavy iron trash is enhanced with the new Iron Volume Control feature. 10-step adjustments let you decrease the volume of iron all the way down to a whisper, while leaving desirable targets (non-ferrous) loud and clear. To engage Iron Volume Control, simply hold down the All Metal button, while simultaneously using the Volume buttons to adjust to your liking.

General Improvements for All VANQUISH Models

The upgrade also includes improved battery handling capability for all models, as well as a new low battery alert.

minelan-vanquish-update-1.jpg

• Like 5

Simon, I had to actually locate a Micro USB data cable and get it seated properly in the Micro USB port. After 4 attempts it worked. Keep trying. 

When I first turned on my 340 the battery meter was showing 2/3s full and I was using freshly charged NiMH batteries. After the update my battery meter is reading full. Hopefully, this update really did fix whatever was drawing so much current. I was basically getting about 4 hours on freshly charged batteries and that is with a 340 not the more feature rich 540.

Jeff

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We are still at version 1.61 of the update. The detectors shipped with 1.44. Minelab has added a note in the instructions about USB cables....

"Many Micro-USB cables that are supplied with electronics (including those supplied with the battery charger and headphones in the VANQUISH 540 Pro Pack) are "power only". To update your VANQUISH, you will need to ensure your Micro-USB cable supports data as well."

I have never heard that before, but they claim that some USB charger cables only charge and will not carry data. Including the ones provided with the detector!

Here is a very short video showing the cable connection being made. Start the installation software first, then plug the cable in, and the software will start the detector and do the install.

vanquish-update-screen.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to New Vanquish Update 1.61

I think they are thinking in terms of it being update number 1? Being a computer type I’m more into version numbers. Clearly that is what the update facility is displaying. They ship 1.44 and the update is to 1.61. The funny part is 1.1 would be going backwards. :smile:

I sure wish as part of any updates Minelab would add a version check function.   Something like “before power in, hold and keep holding the accept/reject button. Now power on. The number displayed is the version number. Release accept/reject button, machine will function normally.”

New owners may want to know the version number. I would. Making the person find a computer, download this software, and get the cable right, etc. Yeah, thanks, nice way to treat a new Minelab owner.

Or it could just tell us the number.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I think they are thinking in terms of it being update number 1? Being a computer type I’m more into version numbers.

Same here re version #'s.  They pretty much keep the version # convention consistent with the update # for the Equinox series.  Almost wondering if it isn't just a typo.  Update 1 makes sense, 1.1 not so much.

I'm just nitpicking, I guess.  I am happy they are making use of the data port for updates.  I agree that was probably a late change of heart from the Vanquish team since the accessibility of the port is not ideal.  But it works.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

"Many Micro-USB cables that are supplied with electronics (including those supplied with the battery charger and headphones in the VANQUISH 540 Pro Pack) are "power only". To update your VANQUISH, you will need to ensure your Micro-USB cable supports data as well."  (from Minelab)

Does this mean if you want to update (with ML supplied software) that you have to go find/buy a cable that will do that since the one supplied with the detector only has power lines, not data lines?

51 minutes ago, phrunt said:

They don't supply the correct cable, even more reason to think the updating is an afterthought.

Wonder how much money that saved 'em.