Coil Weights

I was wondering what you serious “Water” hunters use to weigh down your coils.  Someone once suggested taking a “tube” sock, filling it with sand, tying it in a circle (like an ankle weight) and sliding in over your lower rod having it lay on the coil.

I’ve also seen bandanas (to keep you cool) with Silica Gel sewed in to them.  They absorb the water and expand making them heavier than they are dry. I wonder if you had enough in there, would that work also?

Thanks!

Walt

I used a rubber discus....they come in various sizes and the leading edges are streamlined so minimal resistance in the water. Just drill some holes and zip tie to the coil. 

39B94DC4-BEC3-4EE6-B793-58BF75D0EE4E.png

• Like 3

Interesting!  How well do they work?

Perfect for me......just work out the best size and weight for your coil size in order to just submerge it.

The one I had was bright yellow which made it very easy to see in the water.

• Like 1

I used to fill the lower rod with lead fishing weights. The egg sinkers about 3/4 oz. then then pour melted parafin wax to keep the sinkers from moving around. You can slide about 8 - 10" wooden dowel in first, then sinkers, then wax. When you want, just warm up the lower rod and pour it all out. Cheap and no extra resistance in the water. 

• Like 2

When I used the CTX I would get tried of constantly pushing down on it. Didn't like it being a floater. Nothing on the Excal since it sinks. I would think any weight added to the coil would interfere with coil control.  Maintaining proper sweep speed to squeak out those deep targets would be tough.

HH

Mike

• Like 1