Audio Responses

1 hour ago, BrokeInBendigo said:

Maybe I’m not understanding correctly but audio does not need more memory than video. 

Some formats do have higher audio than the video, and that is what I am referring to. Most audio in the standard MP format does require more memory than typical video. The compression rate for video on a cell phone for example is much lower than the audio compression because it is in stereo MP format. I have been doing audio for 50 years and have seen this since about 1995. Prior to that date video would eat the memory like candy and ask for more, because of the compressed bandwidth. It is not the same as it used to be.

When I add audio to a new video that I put together the video is always lower even in a high quality mode of production. Processing the video takes quit a bit of memory, but when storing the video when it is complete uses far less.

It depends on what type of video and audio that you are using and what type of equipment you are also using.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2Valen said:

Some formats do have higher audio than the video, and that is what I am referring to. Most audio in the standard MP format does require more memory than typical video. The compression rate for video on a cell phone for example is much lower than the audio compression because it is in stereo MP format. I have been doing audio for 50 years and have seen this since about 1995. Prior to that date video would eat the memory like candy and ask for more, because of the compressed bandwidth. It is not the same as it used to be.

When I add audio to a new video that I put together the video is always lower even in a high quality mode of production. Processing the video takes quit a bit of memory, but when storing the video when it is complete uses far less.

It depends on what type of video and audio that you are using and what type of equipment you are also using.

In no typical video format will the audio be a higher bitrate than the video... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rate

MP3 maxes out at 320kbps CBR for example - this is quality that is indistinguishable from lossless for 99.999% of listeners and audio playback setups. At 320kbps you have barely-useable video. 1080p h.264 is in the mbps range for video and the audio stream will be no more than 320kbps. 

Your video quality decreases when you add audio for two reasons. Firstly you are re-encoding the video when you add audio to it. Secondly you are adding data to the media stream from the audio and if you keep the same end bitrate (as is common in video editors where you set a quality profile), that leaves less bandwidth for the video.

Metal detectors typically use only a relatively small frequency range is used for pitch (about 300 to 3000 Hz thereabouts), and the sample rate is quite low as well. With the advent of devices like arduino, teensy, etc it would be trivial to handle audio processing as described in this post. I think we’d need to talk to a designer of a modern metal detector to determine why the audio has been so similar across detectors for years. Odds are, it’s because people are conditioned to the classic metal detector sounds and if it changed substantially, productivity would decrease. In other words, this is a cultural limitation and not a technical one. 

• Like 2