Steve's Insanely Hot GPZ 7000 Settings

For starters watch the video Dale (Gold Hound) should be releasing any day now. Hopefully there will be some footage there that will help.

There are a few POV clips in the new vid and I'm now using twin wm12 speaker's instead of headphones so you can hear everything, vids 2 and 3 have over 2 hours of POV footage!

So you will get a pretty good idea of how my detector sounds with the settings cranked as I always have em cranked!

• Like 4

As a complete greenhorn that will probably never be able to obtain a Z unless I sell a car or 3, I have learned much from this thread.

Steve your dedication is quite a yard stick to measure up to. You, along with of course JP, and the many contributors to this thread have planted a deep seed.

I can't wait to hear more of what my mealy little 4500 has to teach me.  Along with my Noka Core. I love hearing up to 4 different targets with that core in the same hole.

I say again I'm learning..

• Like 2

Be prepared to grow some "man hairs" if your using Steve's Insane settings!! But wow when you get your coil over a target.... POP, POW!!! This 1/2 grammer was at 7 inches and sounded like it was on the surface. In deeper soils on larger targets I would use with caution, I felt it was swallowing up some of the nuance of the deeper responses, but if you want to GB II the GPZ even in surprisingly variable ground (makes less ground signal than a GB II in Iron grunt mode), then go for it.

Well done Steve and thanks for sharing your hard won info, 

JP

20151122_084942_zpshwvbulub.jpg

• Like 1

I agree I would hunt deep ground for large nuggets differently. Sadly, I usually frequent ground where smaller and shallower is the norm. Many Nevada areas just do not have any depth at all. Even in deep ground the nuggets can just be in the upper "active" layer where wind and water depletion is concentrating gold near surface over time. Or just lots of relatively shallow bedrock ground. Half grammers are the bread and butter and I have to hunt for them and just figure big nuggets will take care of themselves if I get over them. All the really massive nugget finds in the U.S. as of late have been ridiculously shallow, just missed by everyone to this day.

Thanks for posting JP.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been testing Steve's "insanely hot" settings. I'm having the same luck with them as I have with ladies of the same description. Not so good.

Here are my thoughts:

The ground type here (Northern Sierras) can change more in 50 feet than some places in Nevada, and I'm assuming in Australia, change in 5 miles. It will change from bedrock to clay to volcanic to who knows what and then you add gobs of different hot rocks into the mix. I miss not having the Quick Track button of the X series detectors. I'm not convinced the 7000 ground tracking can keep up but I'll be the first to admit that I don't fully understand how to get the most out of it. But a quick look at the short history of the 7000 seems to indicate that Minelab doesn't know how to get the most out of it either.

I seem to always return to my super quiet + high sensitivity settings. Its a choice between listening for the itsy bitsy teeny tiny (almost to the point of wishful thinking) variance in threshold or or listening to warbles, squeaks and squawks and trying to pick out a sound that actually means something.

I'll keep fiddling with the settings but, being exceptionally lazy, am sort of leaning to the quiet side 

• Like 4