Nox Vs Anfibio / Kruzer On Silver Coins In Parks

2 hours ago, kac said:

I never experienced id's being averaged up on my MK. If I take an object in Gen Mode (all metal unfiltered raw signal) I will see numbers drop off when they get to the fringe of the range. Discrimination modes will hit targets harder as they are filtered. The high gain modes may have a signal too strong for the target and possibly show the target id higher if the gain is set too high for the area.

The MK has a true gain control but lacks a sensitivity control. Gain effects overall power of the machine and ideal if you wanted to comb an area for a recent drop you can limit it's depth to a few inches by dropping the gain down. Sensitivy will effect how sensitive the machine is to an object. High sensitivity effects how well it picks up on tiny objects.

If the MK also had a sensitivity control this would make it easier to run a higher gain and reduce some of the chatter as you can start to nudge out the mineraliztion in the ground. Maybe someday they will have both in the same macine.

Not to go off topic but the Amphibio with 11" round coil does go deeper than the Nox with an 11" coil. The Amphibio being nearly the same as the Kruzer series I suspect would hit a dime pretty deep with that 11" coil without any issues and should be very easy to recognize on the id in the 81-85 numbers.

Kac, I appreciate your experience in your area, with your settings, in your dirt with your Multi Kruzer. Recognizing a deep dime or a deep silver coin is not the problem. Misidentifying other low to mid conductors at the same depth like aluminum trash, due to up averaging IS the problem. Those settings you referenced and the Kruzer/Multi Kruzer in general (I have owned or tried out three of them and an Anfibio) do not work like that where I detect and it is not because of operator error. In fact, unless these Nok Mak detectors are run at or above the high gain setting they will not even detect a 4 to 6" coin sized target except in Gen mode. I don't mean they won't give good numbers or tones. I mean they won't detect deep coin sized or smaller targets period!!! The original poster was asking about detecting silver targets in modern aluminum trashy parks. He did not mention his mineralization levels. I gave him my opinion based on my experience with the Kruzer, Multi Kruzer, the Racer 2 and an Anfibio Multi that was loaned to me for a month compared to the Equinox in moderate to high mineralization.

I don't care about raw depth and I don't care about how noisy or not a detector is. I care about giving accurate descriptions of what I have observed and most of all I care about knowing my detectors well enough to be able to believe in what they are telling me. If I can't trust their responses to targets I simply won't use them. So for instance, to just make a blanket statement that the Anfibio is deeper than the Nox on a deep dime with the same sized coil unless you have actually done that test personally yourself with your equipment is not really helpful in my opinion. Seeing it on YouTube is just a snapshot of one target in one specific situation. Tone accuracy, quality of sound and target ID accuracy, along with hours of field testing on live wild targets with both brands gave me all the information I needed. Where Dances with Doves detects, there could be completely different results from what I experienced and from what you are relating. Personally, I think he should try an Anfibio Multi or Multi Kruzer, compare them with what he has IN THE FIELD under his conditions and find out. They are great detectors and used ones are easy to find at the moment.

• Like 3

I don't have a problem with the machine upping the id's. If anything numbers get dragged down. Which firmware did you use? Thinking there may have been changes to the machines when you had them and the one I recently got. Gen Mode is just an all metal mode and it does not go as deep as 2 tone, 4 tone and deep mode.

Having the ability to try the machines in the field is the best option when it's possible. Not many shops around that many of us have direct access to so many of us rely on others experiences on the machines. Not sure if a used machine is worth it as they all tend to hold their value and buying a new unit for a bit more with full warranty and that New Detector Smell that comes with it is nice. 🙂

Do you guys ever use 5kz. for    silver coins?Also I have had my xterra up average on targets  and that can be a pain sometimes and sometimes I  don't care because it would do it at   5" and deeper, so in some spots I would dig these because it  can be gold or a old nickel or a nice button.The   new Turkish machines are also are waterproof so that is a big plus since I like to water hunt.If the  Turkish machines are deeper that could be a plus for very deep siver the Nox just can't hit in normal ground.I actually got over a 100 silver coins with the xterra 70 and the 10.5" 7.5 kz. dd coil in a year so that is why I am  interested since the  Turkish machines should do better.

On 8/7/2020 at 9:00 PM, kac said:

I don't have a problem with the machine upping the id's. If anything numbers get dragged down. Which firmware did you use? Thinking there may have been changes to the machines when you had them and the one I recently got. Gen Mode is just an all metal mode and it does not go as deep as 2 tone, 4 tone and deep mode.

Kac, in every response to your posts about how you setup your Multi Kruzer, I have acknowledged and not questioned that your settings work for you in your conditions. No problem with that at all. Why do you continue to write responses like the one quoted above which makes it sound like either I'm doing something wrong or there was something wrong with all of my detectors. Why can't you just believe me and my results. I have no issues with you and your results.

I have owned 5 different Nokta Makro models in the last 6 years.  All of them had a Gen mode. I am well aware that Gen mode is Nokta Makros "All Metal" mode. In my dirt all metal modes on most detectors including the Nokta Makros I have owned are the deepest modes, by a noticeable margin. Being a gold prospector, they are the preferred mode for a lot of what I do. Air tests can show a different story than field tests in mineralized dirt as far as what mode is deeper.

I hope you can accept that detecting out here in the Rocky Mountains and desert Southwest is very different from where you detect. Outstanding detectors that work great where you are don't work great where I am. No slight is intended towards any brand here.

I'll give an example.....this past Friday we had an impromptu club hunt at a local soccer field complex. The ground is really bad with lots of magnetite and volcanic clay, plus it gets watered a lot and decent targets sink to the 6 to 8" level quickly. Two of us were experienced Equinox users. There were some very experienced Deus users, two very experienced AT Pro users and one person with a Simplex and one with a Land Ranger Pro (who found a recent drop gold ring). Everyone except the Equinox users left within two hours. They could not find anything else good and they had no idea what was under their coils and got tired of digging nails in 95 degree heat. Their detectors were working fine by the way. They just could not penetrate the mineralization in order to get down to the older targets. The two guys with the Equinox models hunted for another two hours and found plenty of 6" to 8" targets that we not only could hit easily with tones but we could almost always call the target by the accurate numerical target IDs even on deep nickels. One of the other hunters stuck around for a bit and watched me digging 8" low, mid and high conductor targets which I correctly called before I dug them. His single frequency detector would barely make a faint peep only over the high conductor targets. On the mid and low conductor targets, nothing.  He was amazed. I know it's crazy but this happens all the time out here.   The hunters with Minelab Multi IQ and FBS technology, Whites DFX and Whites V3is clean up out here while single frequency detectors really struggle to get any depth or ID accuracy and have to basically hope for recent drops or detect scrapes and excavations.

Plus, contrary to what happens where you are, the lower frequency detectors struggle the most for depth. To answer Dances with Doves question, hunting in 4 or 5 kHz would get one absolutely nowhere out here in the areas with high mineralization. I only use 4 or 5 kHz after I have removed the top layer of dirt to check for possible high conductors versus iron.

• Like 3

My soil ranges from mid to high 80's  and often in the mid 90's. Iron is a very big issue here but it comes in heavy patches. If you don't run tracking or ground balance often you will miss targets. One of the reasons I wore out my ground balance pot.

We have magnetite, natural iron in the ground and old iron from buildings, tools and what ever has been discarded over the years leaving halos galore.

At 95 degrees out I would leave early too. 🙂

On 8/7/2020 at 11:43 PM, Dances With Doves said:

Do you guys ever use 5kz. for    silver coins?Also I have had my xterra up average on targets  and that can be a pain sometimes and sometimes I  don't care because it would do it at   5" and deeper, so in some spots I would dig these because it  can be gold or a old nickel or a nice button.The   new Turkish machines are also are waterproof so that is a big plus since I like to water hunt.If the  Turkish machines are deeper that could be a plus for very deep siver the Nox just can't hit in normal ground.I actually got over a 100 silver coins with the xterra 70 and the 10.5" 7.5 kz. dd coil in a year so that is why I am  interested since the  Turkish machines should do better.

I bought my MK because it has 5khz. The lowest frequency does go deeper but not a whole lot maybe an inch or so between the 5khz and 19khz on the stock coil. As I am loading up hours on the machine in different areas I am finding 19khz 3 tone for park hunting hard to beat. 2 tone or gen mode for relic hunting at 14khz. 5khz also 2 tone, deep mode or gen mode in brackish water and fields (soon salt water when i can access the beaches).

5khz will chew through a fully charged battery in less than a days hunt so I would recommend the external battery pack and some rechargeables.

Between the range of frequencies I find 19khz picks up on small jewelry, tiny 22 rounds, and has a sharper response to targets. The lowest frequency has a more vague response to targets especially small ones. Coin sized objects it doesn't matter. My first silver on the MK this year was a seated dime and not long after that a piece of silver chain and a half dime. Other finds I found 5 large cents 2 KG's, 3 925 rings, 1 gold ring and countless dimes and quarters I missed with my other machines. My ground balance runs between mid 80's- mid 90's with the exception of pine forest that run in the 60-80's.

Between the Amphibio and Kruzer the differences are. S handle on MK,larger stock coil on the Amphibio and more tone options on the Amphibo. I opted for the S-handle and narrower eliptical coil on the Kruzer as I use it for hunting in the woods.

Raw depth the larger coil will get you deeper with more stable numbers as you won't need to up the gain as much. ID's are stable and accurate when you keep the machines in <85 gain in the discrimination modes. Gen Mode is an exception as the gain isn't boosted.

I do find the MK to be chattery in the high gain modes. This was exhausting to me after using the Tejon for so long. I also found that if you up the discrim the audio can get choppy at times so I just use the iron audio and set it at 1-2. Enough I can tell what is going on.

Last bit, will the tiny Kruzer 7 1/2" wide coil go as deep on a silver dime as a Nox 800? Probably be close but the Nox should go deeper. The Amphibio with 11" coil will. I don't know if the id's will be accurate or by how much it goes deeper. That would really depend on the grounds.

• Like 2

In the Gold Kruzer Gen mode isn't very deep either. Deep & Micro modes are deeper.

With the T2/F75 the all metal mode is crazy powerful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick N. MI said:

In the Gold Kruzer Gen mode isn't very deep either. Deep & Micro modes are deeper.

With the T2/F75 the all metal mode is crazy powerful.

Rick, I have noticed that some of the newer detectors that sort of have an all metal mode like the Nok Mak Gen mode also have discrimination modes that "seem" to be deeper or just test deeper in air tests. That is all relative. The Boost mode (I think that is what you are referring to as Deep mode) on the Gold Kruzer is pretty much unusable in my area due its pumped up sensitivity/gain which just goes bonkers in high mineralization. So whether it is deeper than Gen mode in general, I just don't know. The Micro mode is why I wish I still had a Gold Kruzer. It was fantastic. However, it was not as deep here as Gen mode on wild targets and I mean by several inches.

The T2/F75/ F70 all metal modes are really exceptional.

One thing Gen mode run very smooth. I have switched to that mode in the water sometimes because it's so quiet. My ground is mild and Boost mode is still very noisy but I can run sensitivity at 92. The only way to get rid of the noise is lower sensitivity. I also switch to micro mode if the Boost noise get to me. The noise also makes it harder to hear a targets. So I wonder if Boost mode is worth it when I'm water hunting.

I usually used Gen, Fast and Micro modes when I water hunted for the same reason. Boost is great for checking targets and for hunting for those possible extra deep targets in really mild dirt after clearing out some of the shallower targets. I actually liked Fast or Micro mode with the E.U.D function engaged better than Boost because of all of the ground noise.