When A Boot Cracks

I use a water proof, metal free calf boot most of the time when I walk on the beach.  I have bought them from various places like Walmart, sporting goods stores and online.  They are both styles of fishing boots and muck boots for agriculture and the like.  All of them crack after just a few months (many miles) and they leak.  In the past I have tried glue, tapes and other things to get more life out of them.  I've tried different brands.

My last purchase was a pair of Tingley's and they are probably the best so far but they have now cracked down near my big toe.  They have lasted since February.  They have gone up 50% in price since then.

Does anyone know a glue or fix for this?  I wouldn't mind even slopping something over the outside but it has to be flexible.  

When the water is warm I could use a Clog or slipper but they don't provide the support and protection when I refill my holes.

Mitchel

It doesn't really like to stick to the rubber.  It doesn't bind.  I tried some bicycle patches on previous boots and that didn't work.

Hey Mitchel,

In the past, i have found that you have to rough up the surrounding rubber of the hole or rip to get good adhesion! Than apply a patch and glue with good overlap!

A lot like patching a tire! With Shoe Goo, E6000, or 100% silicone! Than recoat, covering the patch and surrounding area again!

If you can apply a patch inside and outside, sandwiching the problem area, all the better!

If that doesn't work, maybe a neoprene diving boot  (no metal, and has good tread) would hold up better! Mine were about $40-50, (above the ankle) and have held up well so far!👍👍

• Thanks 1

I know this doesn’t help fixing your current boot but a lot of farmers in Oz wear these type of boots and swear by them.  Last for a few years.  Why are yours cracking after months of use?  Does saltwater affect rubber more than fresh does? 

799EFA7E-9635-4362-85DD-67CCE7E467BA.thumb.png.6ff210184ca63dd9ba3ece1c5aa27f73.png

• Thanks 1

E6000 should work too but takes a while to really cure, give it a couple days.

• Thanks 1

You need to try LaCrosse Grange boots, run you about $80.00. One of the few boots that hold up to tough conditions. They are all rubber, not a neoprene/rubber hybrid. I bought a pair of Muck brand chore boots ($140.00) and was really dissapointed when they leaked at the transition. If you want a repair, good luck, most fixes last only a short while. Cleaning with acetone helps adhesion.

• Like 1

Complete Polyurethane Sealant Products with Firm Bonding Effect. ... Sealant becomes rubber elastomer with good recovery after it cures. And it expands after immersed in water to fill the gap, seal and waterproof. It has excellent performance in civil construction as waterproof material.

IT CAN BE SMOOTH OUT WITH WITH TURPS OR IS IT SOAPY WATER

• Thanks 1

I have used the E6000 last year on tips of my timberland hikers where they started to peel up and haven't popped apart yet.

• Like 1