When A Boot Cracks

1 hour ago, Redz said:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/gear-aid--aquaseal-sr-shoe-repair-adhesive--19047505?recordNum=8

I have found that E6000 and shoe goo do not hold up when i replace soles and the repair fails within a couple of outings. This glue however has lasted years and makes a very strong flexible bond that will bond a shoe sole permanently. 

I have personally found Aquaseal to be superior to anything else I have tried.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2020 at 3:29 PM, Northeast said:

Why are yours cracking after months of use?

It cracks because of the repeated walking and bending just behind the toe area where it flexes.  One side has a hole now on the left but I can see the other side cracking.  They all crack at that flex point.

Patches seem to break down in that area also.  It constantly pulls and stresses the patch.  The material that covers the crack is subject to the same stress.  I guess they weren't really designed for walking long distances on the beach but farm work and fishing should be hard on them also but I remember a pair that I had for years that I used for fishing.  Maybe they last while standing because the upper is perfectly fine.

10 hours ago, Redz said:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/gear-aid--aquaseal-sr-shoe-repair-adhesive--19047505?recordNum=8

I have found that E6000 and shoe goo do not hold up when i replace soles and the repair fails within a couple of outings. This glue however has lasted years and makes a very strong flexible bond that will bond a shoe sole permanently. 

Your experience is my experience with E6000 on my flex holes.  This stuff looks great.  I'm going to buy some.  I'll look for a local store or buy online.

On 8/7/2020 at 6:00 PM, mn90403 said:

I use a water proof, metal free calf boot most of the time when I walk on the beach.  I have bought them from various places like Walmart, sporting goods stores and online.  They are both styles of fishing boots and muck boots for agriculture and the like.  All of them crack after just a few months (many miles) and they leak.  In the past I have tried glue, tapes and other things to get more life out of them.  I've tried different brands.

My last purchase was a pair of Tingley's and they are probably the best so far but they have now cracked down near my big toe.  They have lasted since February.  They have gone up 50% in price since then.

Does anyone know a glue or fix for this?  I wouldn't mind even slopping something over the outside but it has to be flexible.  

When the water is warm I could use a Clog or slipper but they don't provide the support and protection when I refill my holes.

Mitchel

The best???The french maker LE CHAMEAU Marine neoprene or not low or hight i had a pair of non neoprene in my youth when i was working as a fisher monger result 100 hours a week moving tons of fish boxes in the salt of the salt room ,driving etc last me a year ......i throw them when i move to UK.Bought one pair in UK 7 years ago still got them.2 pairs came out on sale 6 months ago bought them both without hesitations should last me till 97 years old.......they are pricey but they also got a good look and because they are pros,i wear them on the coast and i look more locals than the locals............and the mermaids tend to like it 😆😆😆

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrIRlEQlS9fs2YAehd3Bwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTB0ZTgxN3Q0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=le+chameau+marine&type=ANYS_A1NQ5_sep_bcr_%2452462_000000%24&param1=mT_OyW5b-VJIHdbG3T51t_t83aweFcw982-cRUkAEHHDxUI4EPxC4KPQMjMOuwA6Lwx59d7ZYyOYDazJnOzjsrdGCvHnB_WyaFoXERIgBAoPDEmQKkqUILenAkKpPPxuxD7OiG6lC-dmUIklCQNjLIgBiLsE90YArifqDpIbtjyhpknwP9XW8D66by1kdRrAZtvgpc6u1lmWr692j0BCPrBAf7JM-ezzft7rRV6wv9eNn9JoFdVeR4PHN5T260Kwrpw%2C&hsimp=yhs-SF01&hspart=Lkry&ei=UTF-8&fr=yhs-Lkry-SF01

RR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have used aquaseal on my waders way back in the day, forgot about that and don't see it on the shelves here in the hw store. Rubber to rubber the e6000 does work fine but the surface needs to be clean. I used a bit of denatured alcohol first.

Aquaseal worked well for felt soles to rubber boot bottoms as well as patching neoprene.

Here is where my boots crack.

IMG_8763.thumb.JPG.f0c90227d5b603941cb3de8945dcc9d3.JPGIMG_8764.thumb.JPG.e7ad76628d7c750ec00cc163cee1f37a.JPGIMG_8766.thumb.JPG.d5e2baa7648cc7436dea55cccc89fcc7.JPGIMG_8767.thumb.JPG.98b6bf5d0495b2e7c4714db9f57de8b3.JPG

The right has not cracked yet but I'll glue it too.

IMG_8765.thumb.JPG.6d2a644ad16d773c64d0127ee7ac8d77.JPG

No Aquaseal at my store.  They will have it Wednesday.

Those are some pretty good scuffs and gouges on your boots. What exactly are you doing to get those ? Is there a particular reason why you wear calf boots ? Had a buddy that wore them because he was afraid to get sand , dirt on his feet. My laughing and the heat soon cleared that hurdle.

• Like 1