When A Boot Cracks

1 hour ago, King-Of-Bling said:

Those are some pretty good scuffs and gouges on your boots. What exactly are you doing to get those ? Is there a particular reason why you wear calf boots ? Had a buddy that wore them because he was afraid to get sand , dirt on his feet. My laughing and the heat soon cleared that hurdle.

I fill my holes.  Sometimes there are rocks and big shells and I don't want to push them with my bare feet or with a soft diving shoe.

• Like 1

What about using tire patch adhesive that provides a chemical vulcanized result.  Someone once told me that for rubber to bond to rubber properly, it needs to chemically vulcanize.

• Thanks 1

The type for truck tires.  Maybe check at tire repair shops.

I have not been to a beach in close to a year but when I do beach hunt I use fly fishing boots....I find myself in the water over my waist most of the times and they serve me well. Wet feet and beach hunting are one and the same ..something like this...

https://www.orvis.com/p/christmas-island-bootie/2HN5?item_code=2HN50913&adv=127748&cm_mmc=plas-_-FlyFishing-_-2HN5-_-127748&gclid=CjwKCAjw4MP5BRBtEiwASfwALyjtWghKenG8vAZAhqDw-1d5UgHtE9HTerSHJDL7Ir9mqLfjh4OpbRoC3hkQAvD_BwE

strick

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, strick said:

I have not been to a beach in close to a year but when I do beach hunt I use fly fishing boots....I find myself in the water over my waist most of the times and they serve me well. Wet feet and beach hunting are one and the same ..

They are great for Kayaking too.

• Like 1

I used the Aquaseal and it bound nicely to the rubber.  The problem is that it cracked in the same place where the flexing happened!

The idea of being 'liquid rubber' like the Flex Seal is good but it won't withstand the bending.

A tape sounds good also and I've tried it but the tape doesn't remain flexible enough vs the boot surface and it pulls away and the leak returns under the tape.

The patching and vulcanization seem to be the last try.  I have a tire store that I use and I'll see if they can put one of their tire patches on it but it will also want to break loose.

Alas I'll be once again disposing of a pair of boots that I could use for years if they didn't crack.

I've used some diving booties I have while my boots have been out of commission and they 'work' better in the water of course but walking on the beach and with the rocks in some places ... the boots are like a good hiking shoe in the desert.  They protect my feet.