Steve's All New Scoop Handles: My Review

I got my hands on a new product from Steve’s Detector Rods--a scoop handle for my Stealth 920!

As we all know, Steve has a well earned and most deserved reputation for giving us top quality shafts for a variety of metal detectors and now he’s dedicated that same level of attention to producing carbon fiber handles for the Stealth, X-treme and T-Rex scoops. It really is a great day for the detecting world.

As soon as I opened the box, that professional manufacturing and precise attention to detail was clearly evident. You can just tell it’s first class when you see and hold it. The feel of this handle immediately tells you it’s ready for anything you can throw at it. The look of it tells you this is a professional piece of equipment...it’s simply a great looking handle.

image.jpeg.6df2a6e676d4ec5dd860dd12d5f1c719.jpeg

I took it to New Smyrna Beach, Florida for its 3 day maiden voyage and the bottom line: It proved itself to be a real beast...but a very light beast! There was absolutely no flex in this handle even when pulling out a 920 scoop full of very wet sand. This handle felt and performed like the extremely substantial shaft that it was designed to be and there were no exceptions regardless of the various conditions under which I used it.

Fit, finish and texture: Like all his other shafts, Steve’s scoop handle is a work of art. The carbon fiber is top quality and the finish is truly professional in every way. The top cap is a perfect fit with no sign of twisting...no matter how hard I tried and the handle at the business end slipped perfectly into the 920s tube. It has a shark skin texture that ensures a firm solid grip regardless of how wet it was.

Specifications: Overall length is right at 46.5 inches; the wall thickness is an impressive 2.5mm; the diameter of the handle is 35mm except at the point it slides into the scoop tube where it’s shaved down to 34.7mm. The weight is a scant 23.73 ozs (1.48 lbs). Even the bolt washer Steve uses to attach the end of the handle to the scoop is larger and thicker than others I’ve used measuring 1.25 inches by 0.050 inches! Simply put, Steve has built this thing for the long haul and the tough going with no detail being overlooked.

Wet sand or dry, shells or surf, I found it’s all the same to this handle...tough as steel yet light as anything. It makes your scoop sing and a real pleasure to use.

My “go to” set up is now 100% Steve Goss--both of my EQX shafts and 920 scoop handle are his creations. In summary, I’m convinced that I have the best of the best.

Finally, rest assured that I have absolutely no financial interest in Steve’s business. My sole purpose is to simply share my views on what I consider great equipment. Another superb job by Steve Goss.

Note: The two vertical grips shown in the photos are not part of Steve’s handle--I added those.

www.stevesdetectorrods.com

www.facebook.com/stevesdetectorrods

image.jpeg.2bf1772b089cdca7bf8b60179ce16190.jpeg

• Like 9

Dan,

Good writeup and assessment of Steve's CF scoop rod.  I have used his CF rods on my 3030 and the counterbalanced rod system on my Equinox exclusively with the 15 inch coil for past just over a year for beach hunting.  Great quality in his products and great customer service also.  I have known Steve on a personal level for several years and he is a "detail" oriented guy.  If Steve does it, it will be precise.  He detects with the same intensity and passion.  I am not surprised that your view point on his products are the same as mine.  Again, great writeup.

Joe

• Like 2

I’ve also had a few dealings with Steve and he is a pleasure to work with. Certainly a man who goes over the top to please his customers. 

• Like 2

Thank you, sir!  I appreciate the kind words!

Steve