Glass On The Beach!

Nice job. I have done this as well. Though you were early , I'm amazed no one else bothers. I see walkers , joggers often go right by large broken glass and just glance at it doing nothing. To me , they are almost as bad as the ones who are breaking the stuff. I hunt SM often. About a month ago , I came upon a naked , bloated , dead body at the jetty just south of there. Never know what you are going to find in the early morning hours. 

• Oh my! 3

4 minutes ago, King-Of-Bling said:

Nice job. I have done this as well. Though you were early , I'm amazed no one else bothers. I see walkers , joggers often go right by large broken glass and just glance at it doing nothing. To me , they are almost as bad as the ones who are breaking the stuff. I hunt SM often. About a month ago , I came upon a naked , bloated , dead body at the jetty just south of there. Never know what you are going to find in the early morning hours. 

That had to shake you up..Wow!

I had a friend who found a small child who had just disappeared and they were in a frantic search to find. He bumped the child with the coil and was shocked to see what he had hit. I think he is still a little shaken from the incident and it's been 7 years . 

• Sad 1

Thanks for cleaning that up, Mitchel.   The world would be a much more trashed out place if it wasn't for the few, like yourself, who care enough to stop and deal with issues like this.

HH

Mike

Mitchel,

Good job on the clean up.  Here are the one's that scare me just as much.  It add the "unknown" to the equation.  Did they pick up the rest?  Is it lurking just under the sand?  Has someone already been cut from it?  

If the lifeguards are on duty, I show them what I found and where I found it so that they will at least have a heads up on the broken glass.  Lots of slobs out there and we have our share here in So Orange County too.  This is the 5th bottle top with broken glass that I have dug this year.  I hunt barefooted most of the time so I really go over these areas as best I can.  Sometimes you find more, sometimes you don't.  

Again, Kudos on the cleanup, not what you want to spend your beach time doing, but it is what you know you have to do.

Joe 

IMG_8853.JPG

IMG_8854.JPG

If the broken glass had been straws there would have been news helicopters all over the beach!

I reminded myself of another event I saw from a distance.  A deranged homeless guy was yelling at the world on an early morning.  He had a satchel of papers with him that he proceeded to throw all over the beach.  It was much larger area than my glass.  I was working my way in that direction and he left.  About 5 minutes after he did this a woman who regularly picks up stuff on the beach showed up and just started bagging it.  She didn't know who did it.  Within half an hour I saw the beach go from completely littered to completely clean again.

She participated in a selfless act.

On another note, I will thank all of the beach workers when I get a chance.  They really like it so do the same.

When I spoke with one last week he told me he normally worked inside but because of the pandemic he had to run a truck again.  We chatted and he told me some good beaches to detect!

Sometimes you get something back too.

I have got to know some of the local beach workers too.  Yep, I always thank them for the great work that they do.  On some of the smaller beaches the locals just bring a grocery bag with them on their morning walk/run and pickup trash before they leave.  I really have a thing for plastic.  I can't leave any plastic on the beach and have to pick it up.  Most will fit in my pouch so it is not a big deal.   Water bottle lids, straws, etc.  I just have a problem with the plastic floating around in the environment.  I guess we all have our own pet peeves. LOL

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

That had to shake you up..Wow!

I had a friend who found a small child who had just disappeared and they were in a frantic search to find. He bumped the child with the coil and was shocked to see what he had hit. I think he is still a little shaken from the incident and it's been 7 years . 

Shaken..not really. Just a little sick feeling in the stomach for a few minutes , then continued detecting. I snapped a pic of the initial scene right after they pulled her from the water and covered her with a sheet. I get shaken when I actually see something very bad happen. The only way for me to describe it is that time almost stops. Like someone being hit by a car , etc. It all moves in slow motion for me. It's very strange and idk if anyone else experiences this. 

Not suprised no one helped, got the same problems here. Glad you stepped up. Always fill my pouch here with glass, deck screws and fish hooks when I hit the sand. Being an alcohol free beach I'm also not suprised their choice of beverage was a 12 pack of Stella, makes them breaking beach rules marginal 🙂

• Haha 1

Well done mate . There is still a few people that care although it seems they are becoming a minority . Here in my coastal town in Tasmania we have incidences like that often during the summer period as groups of young people get a carton of beer , sit on the beach and break every stubby as they empty it . I pick up all glass as i see it , and i see plenty . All glass containers should be banned from beach areas in my view .