White's TDI Beachhunter Issue

pjrough

Hi, there. I was using my TDI BH for almost two years now. It worked great till the las week then I noticed an important sensitivity drop.

In other words, the detector switches on and work as usual, but no matter what I do, I am getting less depth on my targets.

Just to give you some numbers. My test target is a nickel coin which I was detecting from 27 cm a least (10us, gain full, gb off). Now, under the same conditions I can detect the same coin at 10-12 cm only.

It is not the matter of the battery, as I have tested it with different batteries I have laying around.

The TDI have a couple if weeks warranty left, but I have some doubts about my dealer's possibilities. On top of that the type of the fail is rare. Looks like the detector work as it should if not the lower detecting depth. For the person who is not familiar with TDI BH, this type of defect could be not so obvious.

Any ideas what could be the reason?

Thanks.

As strange as it can sound, I think must be something related to the coil...I suppose one of the two, specifically the larger one, isn't working good... I managed to swap the dual field with an 8" plain mono last week and I noticed this morning a lot more sincere conduct.Slightly Less depth but more stability and at least 5uS less compared to the over 20Us before the mods.

(GB On too)

I can only suggest to ask for some official assistance if your warranty is still active...Or, think about a coil change soon as You can.

"Just my 2 cents"

Yes, It sounds weird. 

But I'm 100% because I have tested the detector and noted gained results at each step. 

Will try to send it to the dealer, let's see what he'll say.

Don't want to swap the coil in this one due to the warranty and due to the fact that I'm not sure it is a coil problem. Dual field is a series connection of two size coils. If one is down, the other will not work neiher. ....but on the other hand, it could be a good explanation.

Not a good time for me to stay without water impulse machine, as the land machine waterproofing is on its long way to come ....

This one will be the detector to test out different coils (coils swap option).

IMG-d945be89f8121ccc8b9bd42791efec0e-V.jpg

IMG-1772b4e36630cfca2be7905614218a6e-V.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pjrough said:

This one will be the detector to test out different coils (coils swap option).

Aniway I already love that pcb housing.

I wonder why White's don't adopted on this project an easy flat surface like that with a simple flat gasket too...

Are You moulding and pouring epoxy to obtain that shapes?

Seems not like a 3d printed box.

7 minutes ago, pjrough said:

CNC milled

Even better...

Unluckily for me, being mechanically able to build things, when it takes to multiple electronics knowledge, I find my limit.

Maybe in the future, probably next to retirement, I'll build my entire machine from zero...Definitely a PI.

For now, at the age of 37, I'm only oriented to burn these years as best as I can, diving, hunting any good place where I can travel to and hoping for my back to resist for enough long time...Serious troubles happened years ago and weight is a big enemy for me...

Later I'll post a short footage of a dive session I really messed up today in early morning...