Question For You SDC Guys....

oneguy

First off... Really liking my SDC so far and have only about 18-20hrs on it so far.  Most places I hunt are pretty trashy so the Goldmonster is usually my weapon of choice. My question regarding the SDC is about threshold change over targets.  I've been finding myself usually only digging targets when the threshold goes from a steady tone to a higher in pitch and softer tone?  When I get a lower in pitch signal tone from the steady threshold I find myself passing on these lower than threshold pitch signal tones?  In your opinion am I on to something as far as trash or gold?  I'm basically lazy and try to manage my time more efficient so I try and avoid digging every signal if the odds are junk?  What I've been doing lately with success is taking the SDC and finding a target, do a shallow scrape, then check with the Monster to determine whether to dig or not. Then again...packing 2 machines also takes extra time and effort (lazy me)?  What are your opinions on signal pitch tones as semi reliable clues?  Thanks.....

• Like 1

If all the gold is small in your area (sub gram) that method works, but if you have larger gold,  you will want to start digging the reverse signals-Woo-wee

So basically dig woo wees and hopefully one of those has you hollering a big Woowee !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

thanks Wes....  I'll dig a few more of those low tones to keep me honest!!!

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 3:59 PM, oneguy said:

My question regarding the SDC is about threshold change over targets.

My recommendation is to dig all targets, regardless of hi/low or low/high. Sometimes, shallow iron trash gives a very "melodic" high/low response, or a "raspy singing"  at times. But I still would not want to use this as a true indicator as gold gives many similar noises depending on depth, shape, consistency, nature of host rock, coated mineralization, coil angle and swing height/speed  and many other factors. The SDC, with its MPF timing, is made to capture small gold and steals the show of VLF's in mineralized ground very spectacularly. In addition, it is actually quite good in detecting deeper gold as well, much better than most would believe. However, the threshold sound then changes to barely audible mellow variations or warbles. I have recovered many depper nuggets this way. Hence, it is important to keep the threshold as stable as possible (sensitivity 2 or sometimes 3) to be able to hear those faint variations. Not always an easy task since the SDC tens to be noisy. Some ramp it up to 4, but the threshold will then be very unstable in most cases which will prevent you to hear these small variations, and you WILL loose a lot of gold. As true for many other detectors, less can be more as long as you train your ear/brain to capture these faint variations. Good luck!

• Like 2

PS: Get Nenad's SP01 audio filter/booster. This little device works magic with the SDC (and GPZ...) and I would never go without it

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

PS: Get Nenad's SP01 audio filter/booster. This little device works magic with the SDC (and GPZ...) and I would never go without it

Nenad's SPO1 filter / booster........... where can you get one?

Was actually thinking about getting the B&Z Booster/Signal enhancer for my SDC, any input would be appreciated

Thanks!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hard Prospector said:

Nenad's SPO1 filter / booster........... where can you get one?

Several dealer sell them, Rob is one of them

https://www.robsdetectors.com/steelphase-audio-enhancer-nenad/

No matter the detector, in rubbish areas it's safer to dig the lot as annoying as it is. Rubbish masks good targets so get them up and out.

Had a target in a rubbish strewn area go off like I'd swung over a car door...was a specimen with 7.5 oz of gold. I'd swung over it previously a few times and walked away.

This was in an area hit hard year after year by a gazillion detectorists.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, madtuna said:

Had a target in a rubbish strewn area go off like I'd swung over a car door...was a specimen with 7.5 oz of gold. I'd swung over it previously a few times and walked away.

This was in an area hit hard year after year by a gazillion detectorists.

Reports like this (I've heard others; I guess if you've been detecting long enough there's a decent chance you'll have one of your own) are pretty eye-opening -- to realize that many people have heard this strong signal and chose to ignore it.  At least you have the courage (and now the reward) to admit it.  And if you asked those who passed it up "what would you rather find, a large piece of gold or a small one?" the honest answer would be unanimous.  Yet they ended up doing the opposite.  Often the eventual finder turns out to be a beginner who didn't "know" any better.

I like what Steve H. posted a while back; I'll paraphrase:  "Just be honest with yourself and admit that any target you pass over could be a valuable one."  Digging every single noise probably isn't the most efficient (i.e. doesn't maximize your goal, whatever that happens to be) but being selective does come with risks.

• Like 3