MDT 8000 - How Waterproof?

34 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

That's what I wanted to hear. Thank you. I think you would say it's more waterproof than the Equinox 800. I have it and the first day it leaked.

Rick - I have a Tarsacci and Equinox - As primarily a dry land relic hunter, I do not use either in water situations, but I have used both in driving rain storm situations for hours at a time without issue.  As Steve said  - Dimitar advertises the Tarsacci as IP 68 rated - that means every part of the machine can handle a static pressure head of 1.5 meters of water applied for 30 minutes at a time (approximately 3 psi applied for 30 minutes straight).  If the control head and battery compartment are just under the surface of the water, the static head is minimal and the you are just left with the dynamic pressure forces associated with swinging the detector in the water and whatever current and wave action is acting on the detector.  It should do just fine neck deep wading for hours.  It is hard to compare it to the Equinox spec which just says 10 feet (again probably static head) with no time specified - supposedly that means it can indefinitely withstand hydrosatic pressure (static and/or dynamic) of ~ 4.5 psi  so the stated specs are a little apples and oranges.  But we all know (including you first hand) that some unknown percentage Equinoxes are failing even after just being dunked in the water once or twice (we also know that others have had no problems whatsoever with hundreds of hours in the water).  So it seems ML is pressing their luck on their watertight design and simply acknowledging a small percentage will fail and they are just standing behind their warranty rather than drawing attention to the issue that might open them up to having to field a recall/fix.  So far, other than the hassle of having to turn in the detector to get the control head replaced, no one is really complaining that ML has not honored their warranty.  We'll see what happens now that the first batch of Equinox warranties are expiring.  So I would say that the MDT specified watertightness is just telling it like it is, hard to tell whether it is more or less watertight from a design standpoint than Equinox. Dimitar designed, tested and guranteed it to operate per the IP 68 spec which seems to be an appropriate spec for a wading (non-diving) detector.  FWIW - The warranty is 18 mos for MDT.  Minelab's is 36 mos.  I do not have any information on how quickly Tarsacci can turn around a broken MDT for warranty repair.  The US ML repair center usually has a pretty good turnaround time - but then again, they are usually just wholesale replacing a control head or coil once they confirm a defect via troubleshooting.  HTH

• Like 1

Good post Chase. I have been using in my Equinox 800 in the water and I want to get the Tarsacci this spring. The 12" coil is said to go 2" deeper than standard coil. I look forward to trying the Tarsacci. I like how quiet it can run.

In the water I hunt from neck deep to shallower back and forth so should be good.

Thank you

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rick N. MI said:

That's what I wanted to hear. Thank you. I think you would say it's more waterproof than the Equinox 800. I have it and the first day it leaked.

I’ve not had a water issue with either one.  But my Nox’s battery died and there were stress cracks in those screw areas.   They replaced it.  Been some time back and I’ve not used it but a couple times since.  Back up now or for dirt hunting.  I’ve got my fingers crossed that the 12” coil will get 2”.   I’ve not seen the coil but it seems the virus is slowing progress 

• Like 1

I have had mine under chest deep for four hours at a time. One thing you will notice, if you look closely at the battery cap, it read IP 67. I also closed off my speaker grill via a thin piece of plastic and silicone.

• Thanks 1

The new one I think don't have speakers and the battery is done better. 

Thanks I like hearing that. I will have one this spring.