MDT 8000 - How Waterproof?

The MDT 8000 has an IP68 rating - up to 1.5 meters for up to 30 minutes. I’d call that more a wading detector than a mask & snorkel detector. On the other hand, I’d bet the MDT is at least as waterproof as an Equinox, if not more so. :smile: I don’t think any of these so-called 10 foot detectors have a genuine waterproof rating exceeding IP68, simply based on the coil and headphone connectors being employed

The question being, how deep for how long? Who, if anyone, has had the MDT submerged for more than a few hours? I’d assume that simply wading using the supplied headphones, with controls submerged nor more than a foot or two, would be good almost indefinitely? Though technically that’s not what the rating says. Up to 1.5 meters for up to 30 minutes.

Anyone doing fully submersible? I just missed on a used set of Tony Eisenhower phones for the MDT, so I know that they at least are being made for the MDT. Is anyone else making underwater phones for the unit? I’ve got a set of Minelab yellow Koss I’ve considered converting, but need to prove I’d actually be sticking my head in the water more than I’m doing now before I’d go that route.

The machine appears tight enough. The only thing I’d wish for off hand is that Dimitar double the number of threads on the battery cap. They seem sufficient, but just barely, and a few more turns would add some psychological safety at least.

tarsacci-mdt-8000-beach-metal-detector.jpg

• Like 2

I know it’s warranted for the IP industry standard .... but she’s pretty water proof.  IF anything would be an issue it maybe the speaker not the connectors. I also have a vynal sticker over that speaker area.  Face place can really take a beating... I have a short video of Dimitar hitting it on the concrete several times with a hammer.    I sent Tony the pin out for the M8 so those water hunting would have these available over the phones that come with the machine.  Those phones just aren’t suited to be in the salt water even with the spray since the speakers aren’t sealed.  

• Thanks 1

That's something we all want to know. I would consider trying one if I could do that.

When wading I usually have the control box submerged for easily a couple hours at a time if not more. On lakes or streams you could always work your way between deep and shallow water so it isn't dunked for long periods of time.

• Like 1

Hello Steve,

Agree on the battery cap,  although haven’t personally had cap issues a few extra threads would have been nice.

I’ve used Tony’s waterproof headphones before, on other waterproof detectors. With the MDT,    Went with the MX-Sport waterproof headphones instead.

Disassembled the Sport phones, resoldered, then resealed MDT waterproof cord before putting back together.  They sound terrific,  Did submerse them several times last year. This year,  Did a little relic hunting but with fresh water took some time off haven’t hit a river or lake since last year. 

Definitely looking forward to MDT II, Anything Dimitar makes available for us in the future will seriously consider getting. 

Hope the remainder year,  brings both you and forum members gold jewelry or cool relics.

Paul

81BA475C-AAF0-4F5C-994A-4FDA5AE33E06.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2020 at 1:09 PM, dewcon4414 said:

I know it’s warranted for the IP industry standard .... but she’s pretty water proof.  IF anything would be an issue it maybe the speaker not the connectors. I also have a vynal sticker over that speaker area.  Face place can really take a beating... I have a short video of Dimitar hitting it on the concrete several times with a hammer.    I sent Tony the pin out for the M8 so those water hunting would have these available over the phones that come with the machine.  Those phones just aren’t suited to be in the salt water even with the spray since the speakers aren’t sealed.  

Dew where can I see that video ? 

Thomas im embarrassed to say ive moved a lot of my photo/videos im not certain where it is.   My computer photos were a mess so .... im was moving and deleting.....ill check to see if its on my external HD.   Im certain i posted it on Toms LONG thread.   I run it down for you.

• 3 months later...

Nobody has used the Tarsacci underwater for more than 2 hours.

Define underwater Rick???  Does neck deep count?  Ive used mine for over two years as have two others here in Fl... we have put HOURS and HOURS on this machine in the water.... with the box underwater.   Ive had mine in the water so long the red has faded off the button plate.  I had a few drops of salt water in the battery area.... but dryed it out with no problems that was early on.  Most machines.... they would be toast.  I was the guy who contacted Tony and gave him the pin out and type of connector.  I got one of the first pairs he made for the Nox after he contacted me.... so i knew his phones were top notch and WATERPROOF.     

That's what I wanted to hear. Thank you. I think you would say it's more waterproof than the Equinox 800. I have it and the first day it leaked.