Buried Cables, Etc. Questions

Sometimes while out detecting I wonder about the likelihood of digging into utility lines.  The obvious one is sprinkler heads or lines, but those I've encountered seem pretty sturdy, although if plastic there could be a problem.

In my current park site I uncovered a Romex electrical line (not in a protective conduit) -- sample photo below.  It was only about 6 inches deep and my detector was picking up the copper wires inside.  Fortunately it turned out to be inactive although I don't think I broke through the insulation.  I just covered it back up and made a mental note since its signal could be picked up elsewhere along the line.

romex.jpeg.a38f881171c4fe4d4f6d59fac1d55896.jpeg

Another, possibly bigger issue is what to say if someone approaches and asks (or tells...) you of their concern, whether that is for my safety or just of the utility line itself.  Of course they are supposed to be much deeper than I dig, but that assumes whoever buried it was knowledgeable and responsible.  For example, in front of my house along the public sidewalk there is a TV cable (merely electrically insulated) which has been pushed to the surface by a tree root.  I'm sure it wasn't buried more than a few inches originally.  Every time I mow I wonder if I'm going to cut it.

I'd like to read about your experiences with this issue.

• Like 2

GB

I retired from the phone company and putting a cable in say coming to a home should be a foot half deep. The trouble is when the ground gets hard the plow will come up and they keep going. 
 When you got someone digging the trench by hand your lucky if it’s just covered with dirt ..

Chuck 

Most utilities are buried around 3 feet down in the public right of ways so I dont worry much about them unless I'm near a box or feed coming off a pole.  Cable lines and electrical extensions to homes and their garages or sheds are the only lines I've ever inadvertently dug up in other peoples yards~ luckly I've never broke one.  There are some parks that have I have found shallow buried lines for lighting as well but usually when I get those signals they are large and if I trace them more than a couple of feet I leave them alone, same goes for those lines I find on other peoples properties anymore.  Active lines also have a lot of EMI associated with them and thats another clue not to dig.

• Like 2

I splice a cable going out to Padre Island out of Corpus and it was put down about 5 foot deep. I’m 6foot and standing at the bottom of the pit where I had to make a splice I could see over the rim of the pit a little. I’ve seen cables put deeper as they get a larger count .

Chuck 

2 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I retired from the phone company and putting a cable in say coming to a home should be a foot half deep.

I'm assuming (hoping) you mean 18 inches.

4 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

.... I retired from the phone company and ....

Chuck, This  thread, and your response, reminded me of a humorous story . This  was posted on a forum a few years back:

A newbie shows up at his city-hall park's dept. office, to ask if he can detect in the city parks (I guess he thought he "needed permission" or "better safe than sorry , so I should ask if ok").   The clerks at the front desk had no idea what he was talking about. So after some back-for-explanation, the desk clerk excused herself , and went back to her superiors in the back offices. She emerged a minute later with a "no", and handed him a brochure.

The brochure was from the local utility Co, that said "Call before you dig" .  And on the cover was a picture of a backhoe digging giant pits in a construction site.   When the man realized this was talking about heavy equipment , sewer lines, and utilities-type-things, he objected and told her that this  is talking about people who are going  to dig 6 ft deep !  Not applicable to md'rs who only dig 6 inches deep.

He handed the brochure back to  her.  She leafed through it, and said to him "But sir, it doesn't say HOW deep, it just says ANY digging".   And handed the brochure back to the man.  The poor guy left the office more confused than when he'd arrived.

So let's face it fellas : We're all criminals.  We should  all be calling the local utility Co "before we dig".   I know you are all grief-stricken with guilt for your crimes.   But not to worry.  Just box up all your stuff and send it to me. I will absolve  your conscience of all guilt 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh my! 1

GB,

I usually don't worry if on public ground, all municipalities require 36'' depth for cable and the appropriate conduit it goes in. Now for private property, I always keep note of light poles, feeds out of the house and barns,ect. That being said a lot of gypsie contractors will run what they can pry up with a shovel. Not that you don't already know, but when you get a shallow signal 3 feet to 20 feet long its a wire. I've only hit a couple of these in all the years and none have been hot. If you happen to dig one and nick it, and its 120v, it will give you a good scare, but wont kill you. 240v will really hurt and could potentially kill you. 480 and you will be a puff of smoke!!!. 90 percent of wire is just scrap discards from the job that someone didn't clean up. Great topic I'm glad you brought this up.

• Like 4