Some Like It Hot ( Hopefully...)

Take a look at this map (from Climate Impact Lab) and mentally overlay where metal detectable gold is found:

worldwide_hot-days_predctions.png.772f03e2f98ed242fef681c3ad5de85c.png

Russia, here we come?

• Like 1

At this point here in PA, I'm tempted to buy propery somewhere near the arctic circle. Today was another 104 with the heat index.

• Haha 2

dogodog  

I’m not so sure you would like being inside the Arctic Circle. I spent a year at Thule Greenland and some of the storms can be really bad.

One I had lasted three day blowing at 150 mph with gust up to 175 mph. Up on the radar site it could hit 200 mph.

So be careful what you wish for .

Chuck 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh my! 1

minus 55-60 F below zero has to be experienced to believe. I lived it in Alaska for 37 years. Fortunately it does not last long. I'll take a few days of heat any time. I am in Northern California now and we have had temps at and above 100-F for the last two weeks. But winter and rain is coming.

At least here I can detect and mine year round. In Interior Alaska it is only between three and four months, you have to work fast.

• Like 4

My favorite times to go during summer in the Mojave are between early dawn and mid morning. It starts out in the cool low 90’s and only gets up to the low 100’s  by 11 AM or so.

Guess I'm not getting into prospecting anytime soon with temps like that. If it hit above 75 I rethink going out. Looking forward to the winter beach hunts, swing my detector and grow some snotsicles any day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The call of gold powers people into many Earthly discomforts apparantly. We have had field geologists and techs working on an exploration project in the AZ desert in 105-115 temps for a month now, few clouds. Not sure how they are doing it. You can't even pick up and hold any kind of remotely dark rock in that weather and the heat just feels like a physical wall of oppression.

45-65 degree AZ winters are close to perfection though in my book.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jasong said:

The call of gold powers people into many Earthly discomforts apparantly. We have had field geologists and techs working on an exploration project in the AZ desert in 105-115 temps for a month now, few clouds. Not sure how they are doing it. You can't even pick up and hold any kind of remotely dark rock in that weather and the heat just feels like a physical wall of oppression.

45-65 degree AZ winters are close to perfection though in my book.

120° In Topock this weekend!  My wife’s company has had crews out there daily for months now, and in the summer heat they have to take 15-minute AC breaks every hour... I miss doing that stuff! 🤪

• Oh my! 1

On 8/11/2020 at 5:47 PM, Jim_Alaska said:

minus 55-60 F below zero has to be experienced to believe. I lived it in Alaska for 37 years. Fortunately it does not last long. I'll take a few days of heat any time. I am in Northern California now and we have had temps at and above 100-F for the last two weeks. But winter and rain is coming.

At least here I can detect and mine year round. In Interior Alaska it is only between three and four months, you have to work fast.

Fast work, and long, long days as well in order to get it all done before the big freeze, and then it's dream of warmer places until the big thaw.

I can really relate Jim to your former Alaska experience, and I too enjoy the warm weather when we can get it.

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 1