Big Bling ... Junk!

tvr

Got to the Outer Banks for a few days. One of the quieter water trips I've experienced there. Beautiful blue green water color. Saw lots of pelicans and dolphins. Nearly 8 seconds between waves for all four days we were there, although each wave would need to be ducked under or bounced up on to keep head above it. Unfortunately, surveying spots along about 6 miles of beach found deep soft sand in all areas checked. Slope was steep and all I was getting from the water were bottle caps and pieces of iron. Wet sand was giving nearly all iron too; so I spent most time on the dry sand. The beach was well streaked with black sand. Not much in the way of stuff found but did get one big ring. As soon as I saw it I knew it was junk. The plating was obviously coming off the ring and there just was not good color in the "stones". Oh well. Had a good time, ate lots of sea food.

OBXAug2020.jpg

• Like 8

Sounds like a good time buddy. I'm guessing the wife had a good time collecting seaglass.........Got to love that water down south..

You've not missed anything here, High bacteria in the water the last week has slowed the look for treasures. Be Safe and enjoy..

Was a good time. Wife actually looks for polished shell pieces when we visit OBX. She finds very little glass there and few full shells, but with all the sand movement the broken shells get polished. She has a couple of jars filled with them and has ideas for making the pieces into arts and crafts projects. This trip she picked up enough pieces to half fill a gallon zip lock bag.

On Tuesday Aug 4th I was watching the water levels and predictions (as I suspect you were too) and early on it looked like just before noon there might be a chance of water levels getting about 2 feet below normal lows ... then it all fell apart. Isaias went about 15 to 20 miles too far west and the water never got sucked out, only pushed in on my local water. Oh well. Maybe the next one will be better. I hear you about the bacteria levels!

Good luck if you get out!

Here are a couple of the shell pieces:

PolishedShellsOBX2020.jpg

• Like 1

Well we all know here the junk can sometimes get your heart a racing. Still better than the big fat 0. Good job, consider it practice. Glad you had some fun!!!

• Like 1

At least you found a ring, and you had a good time.

Good luck on your next time and things turn golden for you.

• Like 1

I know the feeling, all I was finding is costume junk this week! 

• Like 1

At least you got out and gave it a go. That's a huge stone in that Bling Ring. All these rains the bacteria level keeps rising. I got an eye infection one year after getting water splashed in it. Good Luck on your next outing.

hh

Mike

• Like 2