Going To Get A Second Pinpointer For When Friends Tag Along

So, I'm going to get another pinpointer for a backup, and would like something to compliment (or replace) my Garrett Pro-pointer AT.  I've heard good things about the Teknetics Tek-Point , and the Fisher F-Pulse, which I believe are essentially the same product.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Those are good choices, as they're PI devices and use AA batteries and have good sensitivity (from what I've heard and seen online).

Another option is the Minelab Pro-Find 35.

• Like 1

I have the Minelab Profind 35 , I find it excellent and it is the only one with an iron disc , very useful to identify big ferrous at the bottom of a hole . 

There are many buried big ferrous in my area ( North of France  ) because of the 1st world war . Such big ferrous buried at depth ( 10 inches or more ) often give a good signal and the Profind 35 saves time and energy because you can identify the ferrous before seeing it  , without having to dig too deeply .  

However the Profind 35 is a VLF so cannot be used for beach detecting ..

• Like 2

White's Bullseye TRX is an option.  Rob Allison (user/poster here) had a closeout sale with 25% off.  Here is his website ad for the TRX.

The advantage of the TRX which I'm not aware of other detectors having is that it has more of a flashlight beam (uni-directional) detection pattern as opposed to other pinpointers (e.g. Garrett Carrot and Fisher F-Pulse).  Those have more of a light bulb (omnidirectional) detection pattern.  That's an oversimplification but it's noticeable and helpful in practice.  I use both since the omnidirectional is good for finding targets when incorrectly pinpointed by the detector.

flashlight-vs-lightbulb.thumb.jpeg.ed35cb92b7e7146a3f87a9a488afcb0e.jpeg

• Like 3

The Minelab Pro Find 35 is a great Pin pointer. The XP Mi6 Has even better features but if not paired to the Deus or ORX then you lose some of it's advantages. I've been using the Garretts and White's TRX for years and the Original Garrett Pro pointer II would be a good choice as a loaner for a reasonable price.   

• Like 1

Which detector are you planning on using it with? If there are too similar in frequency they will interfere with each other. I don't think that is an issue with a pi pointer like the f-pulse.

• Like 1

I’m very happy with both Pro Pointer AT and F-Pulse. I tend to use the F-Pulse for no particular reason but that it gets a smidge more depth on coins in my ground. And I like that it uses AA batteries. For a loaner though I’d go tend to go with the Garrett... simpler control options. 

• Like 2

I have the XP Mi-6, two Tek-Point/F-Pulse pinpointers and a Garrett Carrot AT. I also used the older, simpler black Garrett ProPointer. For simplicity and no nonsense, the Garrets are hard to beat. In my dirt they are about 1" or so shallower than the Fishers, and are not as tip sensitive to really small gold items like micro jewelry and small nuggets as the XP Mi-6. You could also pick up an older Whites Bullseye II for next to nothing. They are a bit old fashioned but they work just fine.

Contrary to what someone mentioned before, the Fisher/Teknetics PI pinpointers will definitely interfere with single or multiple frequency detectors and vice versa. When I turn on my Equinox I always do the initial auto noise cancel with my Tek Point on. Saves headaches and lost time later. Same with the Whites detectors I've owned in the 14 to 48 kHz range and the Nokta Makros too needed slight frequency shifts sometimes to deal with my Tek-Point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kac said:

Which detector are you planning on using it with? If there are too similar in frequency they will interfere with each other. I don't think that is an issue with a pi pointer like the f-pulse.

I have the Nox 800 and the Vanquish 440.  I use them both regularly.

10 minutes ago, phrunt said:

How would the Mi-6 compare to the TRX for small gold sensitivity?  Has anyone who owns both compared the two on small targets? I can buy Mi-6's locally and seeing the TRX is doomed and difficult to buy a Mi-6 might be the go for me.

The Mi-4 looks to be the same pinpointer as the Mi-6 without all the funky Deus wireless rubbish that I'll never use, would this be correct?

The way I understand it, the Mi-6 is the same as the Mi-4 in stand alone mode (not paired to an ORX or Deus). I have tested the Mi-6 I have in stand alone mode on small gold and it does better than my Fishers and the Garrett AT Carrot on full sensitivity. I have never used the Whites TRX. The Whites Bullseye ll at 36 kHz does almost as well on small gold as the Mi-6 by the way.