Z-Lynk Compatiblity Question

As has become common with all modern detector manufacturers, Garrett has a proprietery audio transmitter/receiver system called Z-Lynk.  The typical application is a transmitter internal to the detector's control pod and a proprietary (MS-3) headphone.

What I'm wondering is if the standalone Z-lynk receiver is compatible with their detectors that have the built-in transmitters.  This would be analogous to the Minelab Equiunox WM08 module which allows the user to attach his/her favorite headphones instead of being 'stuck with' the proprietary ML80 headphones.  I do see that Garrett sells the receiver separately but that could be as a replacement for an (out-of-warranty) Z-Lynk T/R pair.

It would certainly make sense that the answer is 'yes' but I haven't found on either their website or YouTube instructional videos that they discuss this particular application (internal transmitter to external receiver).  Then again, I haven't watched all their videos.

Not sure if the z-link will work with other devices, it may work with some.

This is their rollout: https://garrett.com/accessories/zlynk

Wireless kit is with the proprietary connectors work with Ace series, AT Series, ATX and Seahunter. Not sure how the carrot works with just the transmitter I think you might need the reciever too? They seem kind of vague on this.

44 minutes ago, kac said:

Wireless kit is with the proprietary connectors work with Ace series, AT Series, ATX and Seahunter.

I have the ZLynk T/R pair with 1/4" input jack (plug) cable.  (Output module also has 1/4" socket).  That input cable isn't hardwired but rather has the small format USB connector (female on the module, male on the cable).  That is swappable with a cable which has the proprietry waterproof AT connector instead of 1/4" industry standard plug.

They introduced this unit back in 2016, presumably to compete with the Deteknix (now Quest) product.  ZLynk has ~20 hour run time vs. Deteknix's then 6 hr.

When the AT/Max was released (2018?) it was the first (and only, AFAIK) Garrett detector with built-in ZLynk transmitter.  The Apex will be the second.  Then they came out with the ZLynk Propointer AT which is an alternate transmitter compatible with their receivers (standalone unit I linked to or MS-3 wireless headphones).

• Like 1

Garrett is the only company that seems to have wireless figured out. One route, which I prefer, is a company build in industry standard low latency Bluetooth. Almost any proper headphones work.

Or go proprietary. This offers the advantage of speeds exceeding low latency. The downside... proprietary. However, compared to Minelab and others, Garrett has done proprietary right. As far as I know ALL Z-Lynk products are compatible with each other, and adapter cables and modules mean the system will work with anything else if desired. And it is all fairly priced. Big pat on the back from me to Garrett when it comes to their wireless implementation.

Z-Lynk Manual

Compatibility
• Z-Lynk can be used with both VLF and pulse metal detectors.
• These modules can be paired with any Garrett wireless-enabled device. This wireless system is nearly universal, designed to work with almost any brand of metal detector and almost any wired headphone.

click images below for larger versions...

Garrett Z-Lynk Wireless Audio System
garrett-z-lynk-wireless-system-1.jpg
garrett-z-lynk-wireless-system-2.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

And it is all fairly priced.

Particularly compared to Minelab's crazy pricing for individual components.  In the latter case, best to buy on Ebay from people who bought the Equinox 800 and don't want the WM08, but you still won't likely match Garrett's price.  (Note:  I'm comparing two devices which perform similarly but which aren't swappable since each is using proprietary protocals, etc.)

Quest (formerly Deteknix) is less expensive than Garrett for the T/R pair.  Personally after their counterfeiting/pirating actions against the Teknetics T2 software which they lost in court (leading to the name change -- but we still know they cheated) I wouldn't use one of their products if it were given to me.  But that's just me....

• The title was changed to Z-Lynk Compatiblity Question
On 8/13/2020 at 5:10 PM, GB_Amateur said:

As has become common with all modern detector manufacturers, Garrett has a proprietery audio transmitter/receiver system called Z-Lynk.  The typical application is a transmitter internal to the detector's control pod and a proprietary (MS-3) headphone.

What I'm wondering is if the standalone Z-lynk receiver is compatible with their detectors that have the built-in transmitters.  This would be analogous to the Minelab Equiunox WM08 module which allows the user to attach his/her favorite headphones instead of being 'stuck with' the proprietary ML80 headphones.  I do see that Garrett sells the receiver separately but that could be as a replacement for an (out-of-warranty) Z-Lynk T/R pair.

It would certainly make sense that the answer is 'yes' but I haven't found on either their website or YouTube instructional videos that they discuss this particular application (internal transmitter to external receiver).  Then again, I haven't watched all their videos.

The answer is YES.

I have a Z-Lynk transmitter and a Z-Lynk receiver. Used them for my Teknetics Eurotek Pro. Great! 

I also have a Garrett AT Max International. The Z-Lynk receiver works with the Max and my Garrett Pro-Pointer AT Z-Lynk too.

When the weather  is hot I use the Z-Lynk receiver with the Max, just like the  WM-08 module for my Minelab Equinox. 

HTH

• Like 2

Here's an excerpt from the new Apex manual which answers my initial question/concern, although specifically for the Apex:

1019036337_Screenshotat2020-08-16191524.png.3c8e109d5d5ecbc70d05fcde7a8da2a9.png

43 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The manual I posted above said basically the same thing:

These modules can be paired with any Garrett wireless-enabled device”

It certainly makes sense things would be this way, so much so that visiting the Garrett website I couldn't find it stated explicitly on their product pages -- I guess they thought it was obvious.  (I didn't see the brochure you posted.)

But wouldn't it be obvious for Minelab to do the same thing, yet they have different modules for each detector (e.g. CTX3030 and Equinox proprietary wireless are incompatible).  And same thing with coil incompatibility (Equinox & Vanquish).  Two different ways of viewing the world, and treating customers.

• Like 1