Minelab GPX 6000 Full Reveal In February 2021?

We all shall see when we start testing the 6000. The GPZ14 is an excellent and balanced coil and handles saturation remarkably well. I was just echoing what appears to be common knowledge about pros/cons of mono loops in general. Bruce Candy's ML write up gives an excellent perspective on that in case you want to have a look. But as Northeast said, perhaps there is some secret sauce that is coming with the 6000 that will change the game 🙂

31 minutes ago, Northeast said:

Yep.  Brother in law got an SDC for Western Australia (lives there) but brought it across to Vic for Christmas 2019.  He had only just got the larger Coiltek and was giving it its first run. 

We hit a little flogged patch that I’d already done with a stock SDC and the GPZ.  First 5 minutes I found a tiny piece - crazy small. And this is a spot that has bad red clay and hot rocks that I’d struggled with a little bit with the Z.  We were both pretty impressed with the larger coil and he has since gone on to find quite a few small pieces and speccies back in WA.  

And so much better ground cover  👍

Interesting about the 15"  Not many reviews on that and the few I saw were saying that it would go deeper but miss small near the surface.  I also thought I saw that it maybe only added an inch.  I wish there was more through reviews on these coils and comparisons.  I would now be really interested with a GPX6000 comparison to the equivalent SDC coils.  If difference is so small, people with SDC's might not feel the need to upgrade.  Like me 🤣  But new tech usually produces better results.  Anyone still using a Commodore 64 these days 🤣🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, afreakofnature said:

I would now be really interested with a GPX6000 comparison to the equivalent SDC coils

That's something I am most interested in. How does the SDC/ 8 compare with the 6000 / 11? I am a SDC lover (like you :)) and will put this to a hard test. Regardless of outcome, SDC will remain always in my fleet! The 14DD I find interesting for it's reported EMI/conductivity cancelling. This will be a great comparison with the GPZ14 in respective tough grounds.

• Like 1

The 15” Coiltek for the SDC was only used by me for 1 day so can’t say that I’ve had ‘extensive experience’ or anything like that.  But I was impressed for the time I did use it and it was on ground I knew well. 

My father in law brought a second hand SDC a few months back so a GPX 6000 Vs SDC on un-dug, likely gold targets is certainly within my capabilities.  

Just gotta wait on the 6000 now. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

TThe 14DD I find interesting for it's reported EMI/conductivity cancelling. 

Maybe the so called 14DD is similar to the 14" Anti-Interference coil and using a Figure 8 receive winding.

7 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

I was referring to the fact that it is a monoloop. Only in low mineralized ground a big mono will have an edge in depth. In mineralized soil, they don't perform that well as the DD or Super-D.

"The magnetic strength to cause noticeable saturation to a sensitive metal detector depends on the magnetic chemical. Most of the superparamagnetic particles found in the goldfields require intense fields to cause saturation whereas, ironically, some more benign mineralised soils saturate more easily, and thus may cause worse spurious signals than the highly mineralised goldfields. Double-D coils are excellent for suppressing the effects of near-surface saturation, whereas mono-loops are poor at this. Thus, this saturation can most easily be noticed when using a mono-loop coil as one “pumps” the coil up and down, causing varying field strength in the soil"

There are not many areas where I cannot use a monoloop on a gpx 4500 or newer detector and I live in Australia.

I have noticed over the years that a lot of hobby operators do struggle in areas that I have no problem in. I observed that most of them were not swining the coil in an even slow mannor. Erattic movements or allowing the coil to move up and down, either from poor coil controll like one edge lifting heigher than the other, lifting then lowering to avoid obsticals or swinging to fast for the ground type.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Gold Hound said:

There are not many areas where I cannot use a monoloop on a gpx 4500 or newer detector and I live in Australia.

Hi Gold Hound. Of course you can use monoloops anywhere with good success, including Australia. I was just merely suggesting that when directly compared to the Super-D GPZ 14 a similar or bigger size monoloop might struggle a bit in highly mineralized ground, hence giving the GPZ a depth advantage for example in areas with "old soil", like in Au. It even says it in the 6000 draft manual that top performance of the 17 inch can be expected in less mineralized grounds. This could be a planned strategy to not eat into GPZ territory for conditions where the GPZ14 inch shines. But I am sure we will get to the bottom of this once the 6000 is released. So much still (healthy) speculation.   

5 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

Hi Gold Hound. Of course you can use monoloops anywhere with good success, including Australia. I was just merely suggesting that when directly compared to the Super-D GPZ 14 a similar or bigger size monoloop might struggle a bit in highly mineralized ground, hence giving the GPZ a depth advantage for example in areas with "old soil", like in Au. It even says it in the 6000 draft manual that top performance of the 17 inch can be expected in less mineralized grounds. This could be a planned strategy to not eat into GPZ territory for conditions where the GPZ14 inch shines. But I am sure we will get to the bottom of this once the 6000 is released. So much still (healthy) speculation.   

All coils perform better in less mineralised ground😉

I was just giving you and the others an insight into the cause of ground noise for a lot of operators. It is wise to keep this in mind when talking about ground signals.

Example... I can take you to areas where any time you lift the coil even slightly you will get a signal from the ground just like a target. But with careful coil control you can easily eliminate them and not loose depth on larger targets and sensitivity to small targets by swiching to a DD coil.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gold Hound said:

I was just giving you and the others an insight into the cause of ground noise for a lot of operators

Completely agree with that. Strict coil control is always your friend!

• Like 1