15" 3.0

mn90403

Great write up Mitchel.  I have been out a few short hunts with the 15 testing 4k.  I have found similar stability you describe.  I can't say I have ever found a guitar part in all my hunts...  that tuning gear is fun!  I wonder where the rest of the guitar went ;).  Tim

• Thanks 1

Good report, Mitchel.  I'm impressed that the 15" can find those very small pieces.

Concerning the Kennedy Half (also my HS graduation year, BTW), do you think it's a recent drop?  I almost never see Kennedy Halves in circulation any more, and it's been that way for at least 3 decades.  But the condition doesn't look like it's seen much of the saltwater.  Or was this in a high-and-dry part of the beach?  The condition indicates it's not a souvenir/memento that someone carried in pocket or purse for a long time (meaning many years) since that would have caused more wear.  Have you thought about how long it's been where you found it?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I'm impressed that the 15" can find those very small pieces.

I hunt the 15" 95% of the time.  With practice it does an extremely good job separating for its size.  

• Like 1

I've been kicking around the idea of adding the 15 to my toolkit.  This is very good feedback in that regard Mitchel.  I appreciate it.  

How nose  heavy it the Nox with 15 inch on it and do you and others use a shoulder strap when detecting with it?

// R

Great job as usual Mitchel,

I'm way north of you and use the 15" almost all summer long on the beach. I switch back and forth with the 11" to keep myself honest. Wintertime my beach gets much more mineralization and the 15 just wears me out with all the signals. When I switch back to the 11" I feel naked without the 15!  I have a small patch of beach (100'x100') that has produced gold. I pound it relentlessly with the 11 and continue to find little bits. I come back with the 15 and pound it again and find even more little bits and deep coins the 11 misses. It's a great tool to have in the Arsenal. I do use a counter weight with the 15.

Tim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

Great write up Mitchel.  I have been out a few short hunts with the 15 testing 4k.  I have found similar stability you describe.  I can't say I have ever found a guitar part in all my hunts...  that tuning gear is fun!  I wonder where the rest of the guitar went ;).  Tim

On a place where  British torries  were  said to have hid I found a electric  guitar inside it's protective case.This  was a very  steep hill with a  narrow top.I thought I has a  treasure chest at first .The case could  not protect it from the  elements as it had damage to it.The  kid   who buried it even wrote a note inside the case warning to  stay   off this hill or they would get a musket  ball to the head.He must have read about the history of this place.You never know what you will find.

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

6 hours ago, Tmox said:

I come back with the 15 and pound it again and find even more little bits and deep coins the 11 misses.

The 15 does go deeper.  I also noticed last night in the chain hunt that the 'fringe detecting' goes outside the coil 5-6 inches on large cans or things so I do get drawn in to a target that way also.

This is actually a continuation of thread of this one but I'm not in training mode any more!  haha

I wondered what you had been doing rather than getting those big nuggets!

• 2 weeks later...

A terrific write up,i bought a 15'' coil but just found it not a pleasant experience using it due to the weight on my right wrist,so it had too go.Have been using the 6'' coil mainly during the stubble time after harvest.But the 11'' coil could well be going back on the detector.

Currently running the latest version software although not seen a great amount of improvement yet,but as i use it more then that could well have been a good move.

The Equinox although have had it for over 12-14 months i am basically having a love/hate relationship with it,wont part with it as some of my permissions require multi freq but its not the main everyday use detector as i had originally thought it would become.