15" 3.0

mn90403

I've been seriously considering the 15" coil too. I finally got to do a short hunt after the 3.0 update and even though I'm a relative noob, I did feel the 800 ran noticeably cleaner sounding with less chatter and more pronounced tones on coin hits with the 6" & 11" coils. I like it!

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 7:46 AM, GB_Amateur said:

Good report, Mitchel.  I'm impressed that the 15" can find those very small pieces.

Concerning the Kennedy Half (also my HS graduation year, BTW), do you think it's a recent drop?  I almost never see Kennedy Halves in circulation any more, and it's been that way for at least 3 decades.  But the condition doesn't look like it's seen much of the saltwater.  Or was this in a high-and-dry part of the beach?  The condition indicates it's not a souvenir/memento that someone carried in pocket or purse for a long time (meaning many years) since that would have caused more wear.  Have you thought about how long it's been where you found it?

I didn't see this question until today for some reason.  I'm baffled by it showing up where I found it in the wet tide area.  It was totally unexpected and I really can't explain it.  I've never found one in this area before.  I hope it wasn't a stolen coin that happened to get away from the person that lost it.  The area where I found it is frequented by all nighters.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 11:31 PM, RickUK said:

A terrific write up,i bought a 15'' coil but just found it not a pleasant experience using it due to the weight on my right wrist,so it had too go.Have been using the 6'' coil mainly during the stubble time after harvest.But the 11'' coil could well be going back on the detector.

Currently running the latest version software although not seen a great amount of improvement yet,but as i use it more then that could well have been a good move.

The Equinox although have had it for over 12-14 months i am basically having a love/hate relationship with it,wont part with it as some of my permissions require multi freq but its not the main everyday use detector as i had originally thought it would become.

What is your 'go to' detector?  

I have some places at the beach where I still like the CTX 3030 with 17" coil and a hip stick.  That makes it weightless.

I use the 15" on the Equinox without the arm strap now.  I make sure I don't 'cock' my wrist or elbow which means I keep the shaft short.  I could see getting a little harness and bungee for it and using it with a bigger 'swing' on some days.