A Happy Find In Old Unsorted Finds

Here in Victoria Aus. we are in a second wave lock down (COVID-19) for 6 weeks. So did some more tidying up the garage and found some old finds in a jar that I had left unsorted. One was a gold field token from Castlemaine 1859. Another was what I wanted to fill a blank in my shilling collection it was a 1910 I had one for the obverse with a poor date side. The last was a King George lV (4) 1824 shilling it was just about worn out and hard to identify.

OldFindsDate.thumb.jpg.230215496b50fdeceebc2763eb9e36bc.jpg  

FaceSide.thumb.jpg.ffd918b8637e87c7c0c894ac3ddc6d4d.jpg  

• Like 8

always nice to find some good things in the clean up pile.   

HH
Mike

• Like 1

Good stuff!  Reminds me I need to go through my unidentified finds, especially rocks (ore?) and concentrates (fines?) I've been storing up for a rainy day.  I don't expect to find anything as nice as those coins, though.

I keep hoping there's a hidden Indian Head Penny in with my crusty Zincolns (their digital TID's are pretty close) but hasn't happened yet.

Is the 1824 an English coin?  When did they start minting coins in Australia (and sorry if you've answered this before).  I don't know how collectible (and valuable) that Australian token is but if there were a similar one here in the USA it would be worth big bucks.

• Like 1