My Best (fake) Gold Chain 18k/24in/1ozt

Whatever it takes Mitchel, you scored and congratulations on that fatty of a neckless! luck or not you got gold!!!🤩 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

I couldn't read the mark so I had to use two reading glasses....

Glad I'm not the only one that has to do that.  My sister gives me unending grief (well, laughingly).  She said she's heard of "four eyes" but there needs to be a new name for this -- "six eyes", "eight eyes",...?

Great find!  I have a feeling that with yesterday's and today's success with the 12"x15" coil, it won't be coming off for a long time.

3 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I have a feeling that with yesterday's and today's success with the 12"x15" coil, it won't be coming off for a long time.

Well, I tend to agree but just before I found the chain I was thinking how much freedom there is with the 11" coil but as a consequence I can walk too fast so yes, I should keep it on.  I was also doing some 'positive thinking' out this time to focus rather than haphazardly swing.  Then I came back and read Compass's thread and it all helps to keep your head in it while doing it.

I like to hum a little ditty as I swing,

"I like finding silver and gold, silver and gold, silver and gold.  I like finding silver and gold, silver and gold today!"

Very nice find!

HH
Mike

• Like 1

Congratulations on the chain. They are difficult to find!

Congratulations on a spectacular find, Mitchell!👍🏼  

Over the many years that I posted my finds (beach and turf) across 4 different detecting forums, in addition to viewing thousands of other posters’ pics of their finds, I have developed a “sixth” sense, if you will, of being able to tell  whether a piece of gold/silver looks to be a counterfeit, regardless of its karat stamping...granted, the pic(s) have to be detailed/high quality to be able to tell this, and yours have the “detail”.

I’m praying your necklace is the real McCoy...🙏, but I think you should test its metal content..but only if “you” care to.....I never trust a marking on a piece of jewelry anymore, because I’ve been burned royally by even my own finds...

I have found more than I want to admit, pieces of gold jewelry that were stamped with a karat value, only to test the metal, and it turns out to be a fake piece.  😌  Some details I see on your necklace make me hesitant to immediately want to accept it’s 18k stamping...also a 24” solid 18kt chain of the width of yours would/should be 2-4 times your measured weight...

I’d first hit it with a magnet, then if there’s no magnetism, test it with 18 kt gold acid..Whenever I find a gold piece on a hunt, I usually can’t wait to get home and do a scratch/acid test on my find.

Cheers, Mitchell!

HH,

Dan (Raphis)

• Like 3

Great find, replace the clasp and it will be good as new.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 1