Rye Patch Report

It's only about 40-50 miles drive to the edge of Black Rock desert from Rye Patch if you cut across on that dirt road that goes past Rabbithole. You can see where they set up Burning Man from the highway a bit further down.

The aerial in Simon's photo also shows the areas in which some of the largest detected nuggets in NV history came from too, just for an interesting side note for those who haven't been there. 20 ouncers to 100 ouncers if the stories are to be believed, though they were found when I was a kid or not yet born so I've never seen them personally.

• Like 1

I heard about some of those nuggets from the guy who lives over in the Eugenes.

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Not that far (scale is at lower right of this map image).  Lake to left if Imlay is the one in Simon's photo:

1430658629_Screenshotat2020-08-21210107.png.d2b0597943d2acbfaf022598cc570960.png

How far is it from Imlay to Rye Patch Placers?  It seems that they route everyone going to Burning Man further down the 80?

Imlay to where everyone camps in 17 is 12 miles, maybe 12 to 4 corners, can't remember.. The black rock is less than an hour from Imlay if you have decent tires and aren't afraid to do 60 miles an hour on a decent dirt road. The road through lovelock is the very very long long way for anyone not coming from California. Best to avoid the area from about the 15th of august till the 8 or 10th of September or you will get stuck behind a 68 vw vanagon doing 25mph and stealing anything they can burn or keep while camping. Nice people generally, I just get tired of them climbing trees to tear down 15 year old eagle nests to burn.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Planned to go up in there tomorrow. However, with all the current wildfires around here that are severely impacting traffic, in particular driving East through towards the Sierras into NNV, I will give it a pass (for now). So, go ahead an clean up before I get there...Checked the weather in Lovelock, heavy smoke expected from the fires in the entire basin area and 100 deg. heat. Enjoy!

• Oh my! 1

On 8/21/2020 at 7:22 AM, Gerry in Idaho said:

June is as close to "lately" as I can report.  

I'll try to get down there in October and beat Lucky Lundy to it, but last I heard, he moved so close he could use his spotting scope to see if I was swinging the new GPX-6000.

Gerry, as you and I, know there is plenty of nuggets to hunt, in Rye Patch!  Makes me wonder why folks follow my dust trails all over the desert! 😂. But, you still need to know how to swing a coil to fill your poke up and a little luck never hurts anyone either.  Yep, I moved to North Reno in Cold Springs, NV.  Great location, with BLM access just down my Block, from there I can ride all the way to Oregon.  Little warm yet for Rye Patch area...still busy getting settle in with Concrete being poured this Monday!  See ya out there soon.

Rick

• Like 4

I can put an arrow on that photo where I found my first nugget in one of Gerry's training sessions..and then promptly got hooked...but I wont do it lol..Jasong I was under the impression all the gold blew out of the top of the volcano.... a lot easier to visualize then your descriptions! 😄

strick

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, strick said:

Jasong I was under the impression all the gold blew out of the top of the volcano.... a lot easier to visualize then your descriptions! 😄

I'm just trying to confuse people. I'm up to my elbows in easy nuggets here laying around the base of all these volcanoes and I need time to clean em all up. 

I find that generally in prospecting for nuggets with mystery origins, the easier an idea is to understand, the less correct it is. Reverse Occam's Razor. :cool:

Alternatively:

image.png.9dea6e27c7cbf856269c6dd9a80627b4.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jasong said:

the easier an idea is to understand, the less correct it is.

Agree, at least with gold prospecting. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jasong said:

the easier an idea is to understand, the less correct it is.

So Einstein's quote is wrong? 🙂

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

Albert Einstein

• Like 2

You edited out half my quote. 

I find that generally in prospecting for nuggets with mystery origins, the easier an idea is to understand, the less correct it is. Reverse Occam's Razor. :cool:

The Einstein quote and mine are not in conflict because we are talking about different things, even if they seem similar at first. Read both carefully.

What I'm saying is that coming up with simple explanations for complex situations that no one yet understands ("mystery origins") are more likely to be false, the simpler the theory is. The real answer must be harder to understand, otherwise we would understand it already.

That is not the same thing as Einstein is talking about, which is understanding a (presumably) complex idea which others already agree upon, understand, and which has been tested and proven already over the years, and then being able to explain it simply to someone who doesn't yet understand.

Also, Einstein's quote is kinda wrong because a certain level of knowledge about our world is required for even a simple explanation for some things. A Flat Earth is easy to understand. It's not so easy to understand how the quickest route to fly from New York to Vietnam is by going over the North Pole. Yet, it's true, but someone in 1400AD wouldn't understand even explained simply. Similarly, Einstein derives pages and pages of complex math and science, stuff that takes 4-6 years of school to learn, in his "simplified" treatment of his theory, just to get the point where he feels he's ready to start introducing General Relativity to the public. His concept of "simple" is not what you and I consider simple.

Anyways, that's a large sidetrack. 

• Like 5