Sierra City Web Cam

1515Art

this web cam link is a handy view on the weather conditions up in Sierra City, I always give it a quick check when I'm getting ready to go on up to the high sierra along with the other reports on conditions.

http://www.sierracountrystore.com/the-sierra-city-webcam#today

post-1-0-77044000-1449182252_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

it was raining in downieville when I left on sunday morning.

I always stay in Downieville when i go detecting up in that area, usually at the creekside inn or the carriage house, Verizon has good coverage in Downieville and both of those places are comfortable and have WiFi. 

I have very fond memories of both Sierra City and Downieville from the time i spent up there with my grandparents when I was a little kid and the towns haven't changed all that much from back then. Everyone is always very friendly and driving on the roads is refreshing, people are a lot more polite behind the wheel up in the mountains.

• Like 1

I've noticed the same thing, an absence of car horns. I love it up there, I always stay at the downieville river inn. A funny story, the handyman was replacing a bathroom floor in one of the guest houses, while the floor was out, my brother dug some of the soil and panned it, and found some gold.

• Like 2

the riverside inn, not the creekside inn thats the place, creekside inn was in the santa cruz mountains my memory is getting fuzzy must be breathing to many kiln fumes. Mike and Nancy run the place they are a really nice couple and its always nice to share a cup of coffee with Mike in the morning before heading up the hill.

i'll bet there is some pretty rich ground under a bunch of those old buildings in Downieville, the old stories talk of ounces of gold being swept from the floors that was dropped for various reasons by the old timers when gold was a plenty.

• 3 weeks later...

Gambler,

I found a nice nugget in Downieville this year.  While we were there we were reading some of the stories.  One story said that a woman was sweeping her kitchen floor and saw some gold.  She dug it and found over 35 ounces!  That was when gold was selling in Downieville for about $12 per ounce.

Mitchel

• Like 1