Hot Program Settings Pull Out Good Target Next To Cut Nail

Kaolin washer

using the hot program with some changes actally pulled out a copper thing right next to a cut nail  on the hill of many nails i was getting a 70 72 number and went to dig it  and up comes the nail , And i was just bummed out it seemed like such a good signal  i re scaned the hole and got a solid 91 and up comes this copper thing , so then i was happy it was a good target  just right next to a cut nail i was using the hot program with modes shown in pictures Using the x 35 coil 11.6khz

20200815_154459.jpg

20200815_154630.jpg

20200815_154106.jpg

20200815_154542.jpg

20200815_154047.jpg

• Like 1

That could be hammered Indian copper. Could be 4000-6000 years old. I found a copper knife the Indians hammered out and is said to be 4000-6000 years old.

• Like 2

Nice find in the bed o nails.  Looks more like a copper nail point than a native Amercan hammered artifact, but it could very well be the latter depending on the historic background/context of your site.

Recommendation on adjusting your settings: I'd up the disc furher to at least 7 vice 2.5 (the default is -6.4, I believe).  This enables the horseshoe indicator to function in a more stable manner for depth and ferrous to non-ferrous visual indication.   Furthemore, it gives you better separation on ferrous to non-ferrous mid-tones tones and tends to cause less ferrous down averaging of non-ferrous high conductors.  You can still hear the ferrous using iron volume, if desired. 

The hot program is based on Gary Blackwell's UK hunting conditions, and for whatever reason, Gary likes to run with little to no disc by default (hence the -6.4 setting).  Just a different philosphy I guess, but IMO he loses some of the built-in capability of the Deus disc functionality with his recommended UK style setups.  You will notice that no other default program has disc less than the 5.5 on the Deep program (again, a "Gary" program XP put in as his request when Version 4.1 software was released) and most are 6.1 disc, at least. This is by design by XP engineering because the Horseshoe ferrous and depth indicator works best at a minimum 6.1 disc setting, contrary to Gary's preferred UK style setup.  Gary is now a huge, influential XP rep (and now employee) in UK based on his initial (and excellent) video series, so XP deferred to his wishes on the newer default Deep and Hot programs in the latest XP software versions.  Gary gives excellent tips on how to use Deus/Orx and I agree with most everything he espouses other than his "little-to-no disc" setup preferences.  I have found disc just works works better for me for relic hunting in iron and is more in line with Andy Sabisch's school of thought (author of the XP endorsed Deus Handbookand Deus Bootcamp instructor).  (Full disclosure: Andy asks me to sit in as a co-instrctor on his XP bootcamp sessions when he conducts them in the US mid-Atlantic region (my relic hunting stomping grounds)).

No real downside to cutting in disc representative of the actual ferrous-to-non-ferrous TID breakpoint on Deus which lies in the 7 to 15 range since it does have iron volume. 

Non-ferrous depth is unaffected on Deus unless you set Disc well above 15 and it doesn't reduce the "hotness" of the "hot" program and would not have precluded detecting your find (though, admittedly, may not have enhanced this particular find's detectability either).  The higher disc also helps non-ferrous targets to pop with a nice zip when hunting with pitch tone in high ferrous conditions making the Deus essentially a two-tone ferrous/non-ferrous detector but with the advantage of a variable VCO tone on the non-ferrous against the constant low buzz of iron volume. 

I have a 5 tone setup and pitch tone setup adjacent to each other (as well as a full tones program with no disc for modern aluminum trash conditions) as custom programs so I can interrogate targets with both setups to see how they respond by just switching programs back and forth using the plus/minus keys. 

The other variable I change up between custom programs is frequency, which also helps with IDing falsing ferrous like bottlecaps because the bottlecap high ID will tend to remain constant with different frequencies while true non-ferrous will change with frequency with ID Norm (normalization) set to OFF.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Hot Program Settings Pull Out Good Target Next To Cut Nail

I had the Deus for maybe 8-9 years and when the Hot programme came out everyone wanted to use it including me,it last about 2 hours using it and never really used it again for everyday use,it just fries my brain with in my mind useless overload audio.For many years all i use on my roman and medieval sites is the stock GMP settings which runs the discrimination at 6.1.The only thing i occasionally change is the freq but the Deus wont miss much if at all and if it does not beep then probably nothing is in the ground.

All these super sexy programmes that folks come up with and give them fancy names are in my mind just ego booster,the GMP is a reliable workhorse and it works very well for my detecting needs,must admit the HF elliptical just makes it possibly my all time favourite detector and its the one i grab as i go out the front door.The Nox and T2 which i still highly rate are backups rather than the main detector.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickUK said:

I had the Deus for maybe 8-9 years and when the Hot programme came out everyone wanted to use it including me,it last about 2 hours using it and never really used it again for everyday use,it just fries my brain with in my mind useless overload audio.For many years all i use on my roman and medieval sites is the stock GMP settings which runs the discrimination at 6.1.The only thing i occasionally change is the freq but the Deus wont miss much if at all and if it does not beep then probably nothing is in the ground.

All these super sexy programmes that folks come up with and give them fancy names are in my mind just ego booster,the GMP is a reliable workhorse and it works very well for my detecting needs,must admit the HF elliptical just makes it possibly my all time favourite detector and its the one i grab as i go out the front door.The Nox and T2 which i still highly rate are backups rather than the main detector.

I have the Deus for 7 years I always use the stock Deus fast nr 3 program set on fulltones . I use a 9inches round HF coil . The only thing I do in the field is changing the frequency depending on the iron trash level : 14khz on low/medium iron trashed areas , 30khz on high iron trashed areas. Thats all. Up to now I do not want to use other programs/settings because this one works perfectly ( for me .. ) ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, palzynski said:

The only thing I do in the field is changing the frequency depending on the iron trash level : 14khz on low/medium iron trashed areas , 30khz on high iron trashed areas.

Would you (or anyone else) explain the logic behind this?  Does it only apply to the Deus/ORX or is it a general principle?  Also, do you discriminate out the iron tones, turn down their volume, or just let them be?  I don't know Deus/ORX 'speak' so if all that is in the settings you quote it's lost on me.