My TDI Pro Settings

Just thought I'd share the settings I use when I'm out hunting for gold in Australia.

First setting: General gold detecting

Set pulse delay to 10' Ground balance in ALL as best as you can' between the high and low tone.

Flick into LOW and sweep the coil if your getting ground noises which I generally do just turn the GB up half a notch' so from 9 go to 9.5, if need be you can go a full notch without any huge loss on depth or sensitivity' this should now allow you to use full gain.

Dig all high tone responces and listen carefully.

Just note that running Low you will only find gold up to about 7-10grams

If you still continue to get strange sounds that you can't ignore by advancing the GB setting, try the the GB process all over again but at 12 pulse delay.

Second setting: large deep items

When Using HIGH set pulse delay at 15-20' ground balance in ALL as best as possible' it will actually be a lot smoother because of the pulse delay setting' flick into HIGH, to remove any ground noise you now "reduce" the GB setting a little say from 6 go to 5.

In High you will only detect targets the machine thinks are high conductive and any gold over about 7 grams, don't be concerned about loosing small gold you won't detect it anyway so in this setting run big coils and Use full Gain if possible.

Dig all repeatable low tone responces if it turns out to be ground noise reduce the GB setting more up to about 2 notches from the original GB setting or do the GB process again but at a higher pulse delay.

This setting will go deep expect big holes.

Set the frequency correctly if you can't, use the machine away from EMI but generally the TDI doesn't suffer that bad.

Iv found heaps of gold with the first setting so it does work well' but I'm yet to find a massive nugget with the second setting but the deep items I'm digging up shows one will be gold hopefully soon.

Hope it helps.

• Like 5

Thanks Luke for your settings on TDI pro, i am always willing to try different settings with my old original TDI just to see how it reacts. I will try your settings on mine to see how it does. Is yours tweeked at all?

Also what coils are you using on these tests? Thanks Rick.

Rick'

Yeah my TDI is modded but the setting will work on all the machines modded or not, no "test" these setting are proven and Iv been using them for years...

In LOW' my all time favourite coil has been the 7x11 folded minerjohn design and it's found its share of gold.

High' I'm yet to find a big chunk but it's coming....but lots of deeper targets, I'm using the 12x16 MJD in HIGH, but to experiment the older 18" minelab dust bin works pretty good and possibly better than the machines it was designed for "in severe mineralised soil".

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Rick'

Yeah my TDI is modded but the setting will work on all the machines modded or not, no "test" these setting are proven and Iv been using them for years...

In LOW' my all time favourite coil has been the 7x11 folded minerjohn design and it's found its share of gold.

High' I'm yet to find a big chunk but it's coming....but lots of deeper targets, I'm using the 12x16 MJD in HIGH, but to experiment the older 18" minelab dust bin works pretty good and possibly better than the machines it was designed for "in severe mineralised soil".

Luke, when you say 18" dustbin lid, is that the 18" commander Mono coil or one of the older GP extreme Coils,

Thanks mate,, John

• 3 years later...

Hi Luke just a question I have a original TDI pulse scan serial number 002 and the manual has draft on it with a lot of blank pages it says by Jimmy Sierra and Digger Bob should I try to find a place to mod this detector or should I leave it stock it seems to me to work fine but I'm just wondering if I could find more gold if I had a mod done to it

Also on your settings for small gold should I leave the ground balance off on a quick start in a manual it says to any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated thank you Joe

Hi Joe,

This thread is from 2015 and Luke is no longer a member of the forum. Personally, if you are not having luck finding gold with your TDI then I would focus more on getting into better locations with it. There are mods but they are not magic wands and right now nobody appears to be doing any of the mods anyway.

Yes, ground balance off is the most powerful mode but only if you have low mineral ground and no hot rocks to deal with. The machine has to be adjusted for the ground first. The lower the mineralization, the more leeway you have to go without ground balance.

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

Hi Steve

Thanks for getting back to me I have found a few nuggets with my TDI but I always look to see if I can find something that will either make it easier or better to find gold I doubt whether I'll do a mod on it just asking I normally use my GMT when I'm out in the gold filled

I've been reading your posts for years and it seems like I always learn something when I read your stories and Adventures and for that I say thank you thanks again for answering an Old Post Joe