Settings Help For Lode (free Or Float Also) Fine Gold With Gpx5000

KrisDeVo

Going back out to a place I've been to a lot but with a twist. Finally talked my buddy into flying me out with his helicopter. We went last week but only got on the ground for a few minutes before we had to leave because of weather. In 5mins I had a little nugget (pictured, soaked in muriatic acid). I mined in this area last year running a test for hard rock. On out days off we went out with the detectors, GPX5000, GPZ7000, SDC2300, and two gold bugs (not sure the models). The gold bugs crushed it and the SDC2300 next and then the 7000. The 5000 was last. Non of us really are proficient with any of these. I maybe have 50hrs on the 5000 over the past 4 years. A lot of the pieces are small and kinda wiry.

So im going back up with the 5000 and would like some help on recommended settings to start with. I have 3 coils. The two that came with it and a small 8" mono. What would you guys recommend? Thanks!

IMAG5572.jpg

DJI_0222_Moment.jpg

117641505_694332227962823_3735236521235397637_n.jpg

117444986_1586239751545689_3652835943047607981_n.jpg

• Like 4

What an adventure!  I would try to look at some of Lunk's post about the 5000 in the past.  Here is a thread you could get a bit of info from:

I'm searching for more to help you.

• Like 1

This is another good thread:

• Like 1

I still have my 5000 but have only used it a couple of times in the last 3 years.  It still works when I work it.  I found my biggest pieces with it.  In some areas it is all you need on under worked patches.

There are many threads here that suggest specific settings for specific spots and you should look those up but you should also consider just staying near the default settings.  I'd also get to know that 8" coil as well as you can.  It is a pretty nifty coil and can find some big gold if it is around too.  It is great on the steep terrain you are showing.

There will be more people chiming in I'm sure.

Mitchel

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mn90403 said:

There are many threads here that suggest specific settings for specific spots and you should look those up but you should also consider just staying near the default settings.  I'd also get to know that 8" coil as well as you can.  It is a pretty nifty coil and can find some big gold if it is around too.  It is great on the steep terrain you are showing.

There will be more people chiming in I'm sure.

Mitchel

I'll check those out and do a little more searching. Is the 8" coil good/better for small gold too? Thanks

Is there a reason you are using the 5000 instead of the other detectors? They are all better suited to crystalline, wiry, or lode type gold distributed in quartz than the 5000 is. Generally speaking anyways, depending on what sort of ground you are in though, but it sounds like they all worked well previously in that ground.

The smaller the coil the better for small gold on the 5000 though, yes. Mono coils are more sensitive than DD's, especially when it comes to the old style or stock coils.

If you are detecting the side of that hill pictured, and you have all the detectors mentioned, I'd be taking the Gold Bug 2 and the SDC. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jasong said:

Is there a reason you are using the 5000 instead of the other detectors? They are all better suited to crystalline, wiry, or lode type gold distributed in quartz than the 5000 is. Generally speaking anyways, depending on what sort of ground you are in though, but it sounds like they all worked well previously in that ground.

The smaller the coil the better for small gold on the 5000 though, yes. Mono coils are more sensitive than DD's, especially when it comes to the old style or stock coils.

If you are detecting the side of that hill pictured, and you have all the detectors mentioned, I'd be taking the Gold Bug 2 and the SDC. 

The 5000 is all I have. The other guys who have the other detectors are not apart of this new area. My buddy with the helicopter is thinking about the minelab 1000 or maybe the fisher 19.

Okay looks like I will run the smaller coil. Thanks

What Jason said.  Get yourself the smallest coil you can like the NFinder 8x6 coil. But the sdc will still walk circles around the 5000 on that "low conductive" type gold.

• Like 1

Also might be worth mentioning that Sensitive Extra and Sharp timings are generally more sensitive on the smaller, speci type gold than Fine Gold is. Fine Gold is, to me anyways, more of a timing to be used to mitigate hot ground. My experience with the 5000 is limited though, as I stuck with my 4500 since I didn't find much use for Fine Gold in my conditions.

Not knowing your ground type, and if I went in blind with your equipment, my game plan would be something like this:

1.) Start with Sens Extra/Sharp with the 8" mono, run the gain up high until the ground gets too loud, then kick it back a notch. Out in the middle of nowhere and with a small coil, you may be able to get rid of some Stabilization and gain a bit of sensitivity to small signals, that setting works opposite how it seems to work when you turn the knob, check your manual. Stabilzation masks a lot more tiny/crystalline type targets on the GPX series than most realize.

2.) If ground is causing too much problem, back off gain to 8 or 10 and then if problems persist, switch to the 11" mono instead and fiddle with gain as needed.

3.) If ground is still too bad, try Fine Gold with the 11" mono. If that quiets things down, try it with the 8" mono now. You should be able to run higher gains in Fine Gold on both coils. You will be losing some depth now in this setting though. The smaller coil will have better sensitivity to smaller gold, the larger coil will have slightly better depth.

4.) If ground is still too bad, a last resort is the 11" DD.

It may sound complicated, but that is the routine I would go through to determine how to run that setup in a new place if I were trying to squeeze every ounce of sensitivity to that type of gold out of the 5000. Alternatively, for simplicity you could just put the 8" on and run in Fine Gold at default settings and be fairly safe, but if you want to squeeze performance out I would try a routine like this.

As Wes says, an 8x6 would be great for that type of gold and terrain if you can get such a coil up there, and if you can buy a new generation smaller coil then getting one with spiral (flat) windings will add some sensitivity to that crystalline/tiny stuff too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1