Ace Apex Production Announcement

What else has been said?

I just saw a website selling them for $492.96!

Details, details ...

If you have to have one, you have to have one.

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

No, it has no hope, that's why I have absolutey no interest in buying it.  I'm following it as I hope they make a better high end version with a decent coil for depth as I just don't care about separation. I hope the Nox get's some competition.   Maybe if Nel knock out a coil for it someday it might be alright.  If Detech made their 13" Ultimate for it I'd place an order right now 🙂  They make it for the Ace series so you never know, although they don't' make it for many detectors.

Garrett will surely make more coils themselves, and as you note they've been cooperative with aftermarket coil companies.  If the Apex sells like hotcakes you can bet the aftermarket coil makers will be beating down the door in Garland.  If a large coil is all it takes to convince you to buy one I predict you'll dive in, I just don't know how soon.  Probably not before your summer is over....

You keep talking about "high end version" but what exactly is it you want that this one doesn't have?  Do you really need submersible?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

If Garrett made a beautiful multi frequency, but not waterproof, ACE level detector and plans to stop there........................I need to add a little something extra to my coffee. Absolutely no way is Garrett, who made the all terrain metal detector line famous, going to fail to produce a simultaneous multi frequency AT Series detector, unless the Apex is a total flop.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Absolutely no way is Garrett, who made the all terrain metal detector line famous, going to fail to produce a simultaneous multi frequency AT Series detector, unless the Apex is a total flop.

Fine, but that doesn't mean the Apex won't be a performer.  In particular Simon says he doesn't care about recovery speed.  That would be what makes or breaks my decision.  And if a person isn't interested in water hunting (exampe -- I) then I was asking him what else he would be waiting for.  Simon is one of those who apparently doesn't need much incentive to spring for a new detector.  Steve H. is another and I'll be disappointed if he doesn't get one and report his experiences.

The bar has been raised (Equinox had a huge part there, but probably other manufacturers like Nokta/Makro contributed) on cost-effective performance in metal detectors.  You don't need to spend $1000+ for an F75, V3i, Deus, CTX3030 (2.5 times that!), many BBS & FBS models from Minelab, etc. like you used to.

We'll know more when this thing is released (maybe soon if the teaser video Steve linked is an indication).  Then we'll get (hopefully) unbiased, or less biased reviews.  It looks good 'on paper', IMO, particularly for a sub-$500 detector.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Steve H. is another and I'll be disappointed if he doesn't get one and report his experiences.

There is a good chance I’ll give one a spin. The lack of threshold is really the only thing holding me back. I suspect the machine will be a solid performer, but I am also guessing it is a conservative performer. The $424 price and need to “leave a little on the table” for future models indicates to me that this detector is unlikely to outperform the $722 AT Max anywhere but salt water. It may also have an edge over the Max in dense targets due to coil size, but I expect that advantage will evaporate with identical coil sizes.

But I like what I see. If I had to get a detector under $500, I think the Apex wins out for me over the Vanquish. The only reason I’d go Vanquish over Apex would be for saltwater use.

• Like 2