Ace Apex Production Announcement

The places I have tried to use the single frequency AT Gold for prospecting, I would have much preferred a multi frequency detector with iron volume audio control and a little bit of iron discrimination even if it didn't have a threshold based all metal mode.

On 8/17/2020 at 2:01 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

The places I have tried to use the single frequency AT Gold for prospecting, I would have much preferred a multi frequency detector with iron volume audio control and a little bit of iron discrimination even if it didn't have a threshold based all metal mode.

Ah, but you are assuming Garrett Multi-Flex will outperform single frequency.... and we don't know that yet. I'm betting just the opposite. I'm guessing that Multi-Flex is a solid but unremarkable first effort at multifrequency, and except for the beach, unlikely to make any serious waves in the metal detector world.

The more I look at it, the more I think Garrett nailed it calling this an Ace. It really is just an Ace that offers a multifrequency mode for the salt beach. That's it. I honestly don't think there is anything more to see here.

Plus, I happen to know Jeff you tend to use a VLF in places where a PI is called for! :smile:

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The more I look at it, the more I think Garrett nailed it calling this an Ace. It really is just an Ace that offers a multifrequency mode for the salt beach.

Why MF and MF Salt (MS), separately, if MF is only intended for the salt beach?  I think there may be a little more going on with the two MF profiles than just salt beach stability  if they took the time to include both.  I agree not more sophisticated than Equinox but perhaps more sophisticated than Vanquish - though Apex doesn't seem to take advantage of MF for other enhancements such as iron bias which exists on the Vanquish, yet ML didn't even bother to provide a GB adjustment on the Vanquish.  Very strange that ML left that feature off and as Jeff mentioned is something that really hampers the utility of the Vanquish no-disc capability under certain off-nominal (but not what I would even consider extreme) soil conditions.

But no argument from me that Vanquish and Apex both targeted introducing MF to the Ace demographic, they just took slightly different paths.

• Like 2

I did not say MF is intended only for the beach. Use it wherever you want. Your assumptions about how a first time effort at multifrequency installed in a low end device is going to shape up are different than mine. There is nothing magic about multifrequency per se.... just fire up my DFX if you want to see mild mannered multi at work. I'll stick with what I said, and lay money this in effect ends up being an Ace with a beach mode. And frankly, there is nothing wrong with that. :smile:

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I did not say MF is intended only for the beach. Use it wherever you want. Your assumptions about how a first time effort at multifrequency installed in a low end device is going to shape up are different than mine. There is nothing magic about multifrequency per se.... just fire up my DFX if you want to see mild mannered multi at work. I'll stick with what I said, and lay money this in effect ends up being an Ace with a beach mode. And frankly, there is nothing wrong with that. :smile:

Sorry about the cross-post but responded with my theory (theories) about MF and MF Salt here.  Just a theory, and nothing earth shattering, and we'll know when we get our hands on the machine, but agree it is just an Ace level implementation of MF like Vanquish, nothing more sophisticated.  Anyhoo let me know how much you want to put down on that wager, Steve.  :laugh:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Simon, this is metal detecting. Here in America (without getting political) buying US products is a big deal and having a TEXAS made detector compete successfully against the latest and greatest from a non-US company is also a big deal.

Surely a factor, but I think a bigger one is brand loyalty.  I feel that since my first *real* detector (not counting a Heathkit) was a Garrett back in 1979.  Even more importantly, Charles Garrett's tantalizing books (tame nowadays, but there was little competition in the way of books back then) and a practice his son follows today -- the best flashy ads in the many treasure magazines of that time had me wanting a Garrett.  Since coming back to detecting in 2015 I've spent ~$400 on Garrett products, just not on a standard detector.  (And I don't expect the Apex to change that, but until I read/hear more it costs me $0 to keep my options open.)

If their monthly display of finds is any indication of outside-USA reach (hard to know from that qualitative measure, admittedly), Garrett detectors have significant popularity in Europe & Great Britain, too.  As much as some people (my turn to get political?) want to erect barriers to international travel and trade (anomalous pandemic aside), today's world is more like yesterday's countries in terms of raw material and finished product distribution, and it's been that way since at least the 1980's.

• Like 1

This has been a really fun discussion which may not be over of course. I really appreciate all of the viewpoints and actual intelligence both from a technical and experiential angle expressed on this forum.

If somehow, Garretts simultaneous multi frequency version is as nebulous and slightly ponderous as that employed in the Whites DFX..................ouch! Don't get me wrong, I love the DFX but, please no, no, no!

• Like 2

Buddy mine is looking to snag one, be a good upgrade to his ace 200 with the worn out pp button. I believe much of Garrett's loyalty is because of their customer support and stable products. Much like White's customer base. I have  a feeling they will do well with it.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2020 at 10:18 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

If Garrett made a beautiful multi frequency, but not waterproof, ACE level detector and plans to stop there........................I need to add a little something extra to my coffee. Absolutely no way is Garrett, who made the all terrain metal detector line famous, going to fail to produce a simultaneous multi frequency AT Series detector, unless the Apex is a total flop.

yup! that's what i think too!. now that they have their own (s.m.f.) circuit, next step would 
be an at version for sure! always keep in mind the objective is to sell detectors! that's what they are in business for! 

(h.h.!)

j.t.

On 8/17/2020 at 5:07 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Ah, but you are assuming Garrett Multi-Flex will outperform single frequency.... and we don't know that yet. I'm betting just the opposite. That Multi-Flex is a solid but unremarkable first effort at multifrequency, and except for the beach, unlikely to make any serious waves in the metal detector world.

The more I look at it, the more I think Garrett nailed it calling this an Ace. It really is just an Ace that offers a multifrequency mode for the salt beach. That's it. I honestly don't think there is anything more to see here.

Plus, I happen to know Jeff you tend to use a VLF in places where a PI is called for! :smile:

steve if what you say turns out to be true, then all bets are off,just go with any single frequency
detector, why even bother with (s.m.f.) if there is really no advantage again, i am NOT   arguing with you,
as you make a solid point, and what you state "could be true"..i find that possibility kinda disturbing
in that, again!..what's the point in buying it in the first place,IF that turns out to be accurate! 

(h.h.!)
j.t.