Help Please, Think I Found A Meteorite

Im very new to hunting meterites and have basically just started.Ive found some magnetic strange looking smaller rocks digging down in a creekbed on our land as well as some rock with what appears to be gold.However upon digging a trench to attempt to locate a lost water line on my grandparents old homeplace i inherited i came across a rather strange larger rock.For its size its rather heavy ,its about id say a pound and a half maybe a grunt more.I havent hung a super magnet but it does feel somewhat magnetic in spots.It appears to possibly have a fusion crust that is almost gone on the rounded corners.It seems heavier than normal an i very hard.If better pics are needed please tell me thanks for any help .

IMG_20200817_131716866.jpg

IMG_20200817_131939287.jpg

IMG_20200817_132013526.jpg

IMG_20200817_132033211.jpg

I suggest you read through this page and look at the linked pictures.  It's quite long (> 64 'bullet points').  That might help.  Don't be offended but if he received a dime for everyone who told him they had found a meteorite he'd be a rich man, so he's a bit pointed/blunt with his comments.  Note #62.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Help Please, Think I Found A Meteorite
10 minutes ago, West78 said:

i truly think its highly possible this in fa t could be a meteorite.anyone

Yes, it could be.  Let's read what others have to say.  But in the meantime did you read through the 64 points (with associated photos) on that webpage?  Wishing and believing are no substitute for objective investigation.

What makes you think it is a meteorite rather than an ordinary rock?  

What part of the world did you find this?

I have found many meteorites but I had to go to KNOWN meteorite areas in the desert and search diligently with a metal detector.  Most unusual rocks are not meteorites.

Look at this from UCLA Meteorite Lab and tell us which meteorite in the collection most resembles yours.

https://meteorites.ucla.edu/faq/

• Like 1

It looks like iron ore, these kinds of rocks can easily fool someone not familiar with meteorites. If you can make what's called a window into the rock we can be certain. Either grind or cut a small area so we can see the interior, that is one good way to get more info from your suspect meteorite. Once you have a window you will be look for round shaped things called chondrules. Good luck!  

• Like 1

Here is a photo of a meteorite. It looks similar to yours but as you can see on this the one side is all melted. Yours doesn't show a side that is melted like that. I would say yours is not a meteorite unfortunately.

figure-2-ness-county-cutout.jpg

• Like 1