New Nel And Cors 12x11 Coil Coming

Been keeping my eyes out for the Nel Super Fly or CORS Butterfly 12w X 11 long coil. Weighs 420g. Seen some for Garrett AT Series and ML Soverign.

https://corscoils.com/product/butterfly/

Hopefully more will come over to the states. Looking for a bigger coil for my MK.

cors-butterfly-coil-dd-11-12.jpg

• Like 1

For comparison sake, my ML Equinox 11" coil with cable and with coil cover is 504 g.  (I don't know if CORS/NEL includes those in their weights.)

Sounds like a reasonable weight to me.  Now, how does it perform?  (rhetorical question 😉)

The MK should be incredible with that coil, guessing slightly deeper if even noticeable to the Nokta 11" but much lighter. The fact it doesn't have a slew of reinforcement ribs on top would make it so much easier water hunting.

Almost tempted to get one for a Gold Racer... 56khz with that coil could be fun in parks.

If 420grams includes the cable the new NEL fly 12X11 coil is a light coil for its size. Some examples below:

-  Deus 11inches coil         410 grams ( without coil cover )
-  Equinox 11 coil                440grams ( with cable without coil cover  )
-  Vanquish V12 12X10      440grams ( with cable without coil cover )
-  Simplex+ 11 coil              480grams  ( with cable without coil cover )

• Like 2

Being 12" wide it has a slight edge on depth over 11 round stock coils. For people with the Amphibio or Kruzer series, this could should prove to be much easier to swing in the water as the stock Nokta coils have ribs that make them tough to move in water. The Amphibio/Kruzer 11" coil weigh in at 540g.

Now if they actually show up in the USA for those machines and they actually have one that is compatible to the Multi machines time will tell.

People weighing coils without cables? I want to know how much weight I add to my detector when I put that coil on, and that ALWAYS includes the cable. Only XP gets a pass on weighing coils without cables. Anyone else.... frankly it's industry standard to weigh coils with cables and doing anything else is deceptive advertising in my opinion.

I only weigh 165 lbs (fat not included)! :laugh:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

People weighing coils without cables? I want to know how much weight I add to my detector when I put that coil on, and that ALWAYS includes the cable.

Your desires makes sense, but...  Does coil weight include coil protector?  I'd like to know that but I don't recall ever seeing the protector weght.  Some companies quote a single weight for a coil but sell for many different models (including models from different companies).  Is there not a variation in the amount of wire in coils for different detectors?  I'm pretty sure there is, but they give a single number as if that applies to all.

Some companies quote detector weight without batteries.  Trust detector and coil compamies when the marketers have a chance to play games?  Not me.

17 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Your desires makes sense, but...  Does coil weight include coil protector?

It’s not my desires... it’s decades of industry practice, and excluding the cable, an actual attached part of the coil, is not long standing industry practice. It’s some bright marketer pulling a fast one.

There are coils that come with different cable lengths. If that is the case, then there needs to be two different weights, one for each coil, because, wait for the drum roll..... the weight when attached to the detector is different.

If different length cables was the true issue here, then we would have both coil weights and cable weights, and be able to combine the two to get the full weight. But nobody, including the people that exclude cable weights.... give the cable weight. So you are getting information that is at best incomplete. As far as worrying about two different cables, same length, but slightly different cable so very small weight difference, I don’t think weight has to be taken to three or even two decimal points. 

Scuff covers are an add on accessory to coils and should not be included in coil weights unless noted that they are included or excluded.

Besides, let’s get practical here... You ever try and weigh a coil on a scale and exclude the cable weight? You and I want to compare coil weights, let’s go weigh our coils and get back to each other. What possible utility is served by both of us trying to figure out a way to weigh coils without cables included? Nobody does that.

As for your last question Chuck. Trust published detector weights? No, I don’t, because I have proven time and again they are not accurate. But if the assumption is all published weights are bogus anyway, then just don’t bother with weights at all, detectors or coils. It’s all just lies anyway.

The bottom line is I have a detector that weighs exactly 4 lbs complete with coil X and I want to know what it will weigh with coil Y. The easiest way to get from here to there is to compare coil weights including cables. If people want to exclude cable weights things get difficult and the room for errors grows.

I have been doing this too long, and it bugs me when people switch how things are done or defined.

All metal mode meant threshold based unfiltered all metal for decades. Then some marketer called a disc mode with all items set to accept an all metal mode. No, it’s not, it’s a disc mode with all items set to accept. The signal is still being filtered. We’ve been talking around that for years now.

Multifrequency meant just that forever... until Nokta/Makro started calling their selectable frequency machines multifrequency. No, they are not. They are single frequency detectors that can switch frequencies. So now we have to come up with a new term, Simultaneous Multi Frequency (SMF) to differentiate what was quite clear before.

And coil weight was grab a coil off the shelf and weigh it, cable included, no scuff cover. That is how it’s been done for ages, and the “cable not included” thing is a very new development. Buyer beware.

13 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Which coil manufacturer gives coil weights with no cable included? I've never heard of such a thing.  It's certainly not Nel.

Almost nobody and now that I am pitching a fit over it I can’t find one quoted that way on a quick search. I’ve seen it, but now it’s obvious I’m overreacting. :smile:

Coil Weights Table