AQ Owners, How Stable Is Your Machine In Salt Water?

Different PI machines do different things.  The right one in the right conditions will make a believer of you.   Where I hunt--competing with pros who work 10 hours a day and hike 5 miles each way to do so--VLF depth is the surface I operate on.   Swinging an Excal--or even the CTX would be pointless.   Keep working testing and practicing--don't give up. cjc

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I like to analyze hunting trips where I am not successful and last Sunday was one of them.I visited a small cove, one year later, where I collected discreetly in the past with my Ctx.Unfortunately the rocks around the small beach cause really bad sand grains. I was there with Tdi believing I could have depth advantage.This place is far from home and I was going there to try something different without great expectations..Guess what?

Eroded!All the fuc....g sand was gone somewhere else and I couldn't believe it.

Was probably the first time I've seen that place in so good conditions since I know it.

Long story short is that I was losing time over small iron signals, avidly looking for high pitch beauties and in the same time I spent digging no more than 10" at the deepest hole, my Ctx was the right gun to use and cover all the possible space in minutes. I left the beach when people was swimming almost over my head and very pissed I called it quit after two hours of useless holes every 20 cm one from each other.

Fact number one

Someone is already been there...

Fact number two

This is my fault..

• Like 4

That's a good example, Rick.  I see it in terms of "values" and each site and machine have specific ones.  These include: depth, coverage, accuracy--sometimes you need all three...I will say that there's no question that the AQ has this kind of potential.

On a good day we are able to "match the hatch"...

cjc

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

PI detectors are for when a VLF won't produce. If a VLF produces... why use a PI? To dig extra junk? I tell people all the time - use a VLF when you can, and a PI when you have to. There comes a point where you either go PI or quit detecting because the VLF is not producing any more. If you've not got to that point, may as well stick with the VLF.

It is not uncommon (at least for me) to go to a popular beach, hunt in the water and not get a target for 20 minutes. A lot of other hunters pound these places day and night.

I'm using a VLF and so are the other hunters. In this case a PI would be very helpful. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

pushing a large coil can get tuff and is really hard on equipment like cuff and shaft.  

Not to mention coil ears! lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rick Kempf said:

AQ - no ears!!!!

950B3E8B-B8B2-438E-8AF5-A3D686FADAFC.jpeg

No Ears Here Either! LOL

equinox coil ears.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • Oh my! 1

Easy repair and fix

i think it’s is 3M black 5700

black abs 1/8 to 1/4  2*6 strips take and trace each ear that you always save
take two short 2 inch angle iron five inch scrap heat abs strips Keep heat moving do not go over 360 degree F  put between angle iron making ABS into L brackets use big welder gloves or large leather barbecue mitts

use Dremel and safety glasses to Shape and measure ...if done correctly and take your time and stay sober you can make a repair that is better and stronger than anything that ever left a factory.....literally the boat can turn to dust but 5700 will last until the Sun explodes or in hot fury fire....

true you can buy another but you will never have one stronger ...

maybe this may save some ones vacation or once in a life time trip into remote location....5700if you never want to take apart....lower number 5300? Not easy but can be removed .....

ps always glue original back on add brackets to out side get longer plastic bolt coat outside of original ear and bottom and side toward ear ....if you use plastic gloves and wet like caulking it can look factory it is up to the craftsman 

HappyTrails

jimpugh

• Like 3