AQ Owners, How Stable Is Your Machine In Salt Water?

Thanks Jim! This break was under warranty so off to the factory it went and in came the new one.

I like the fix you describe. It will be SO helpful in the future. Thanks Again! Bob K  

• Like 1

I agree okara,

Keep sending them back for warranty replacement, till ML finally redesigns the coil ears! Same with the pod problems!! I've had both!!

Same for the AQ, or any other detector! No matter the machine, the company is only as good as their Service Dept!! That's what we all remember, when it comes time to buy again!!👍👍

22 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

I agree okara,

Keep sending them back for warranty replacement, till ML finally redesigns the coil ears! Same with the pod problems!! I've had both!!

Same for the AQ, or any other detector! No matter the machine, the company is only as good as their service dept!! That's what we all remember, when it comes time to buy again!!👍👍

So true! One thing I failed to ask ML... Is a NEW 3 year warranty now in place with the new coil and also had a new pod about 1 month ago? It's like a brand new machine again.

• Like 1

Good question okara,

I didn't ask either, but i doubt it! Else our machines probably would never go out of warranty at this rate!!🤣😂  👍👍

• Like 1

Here is the stability video of the impulse AQ in 36 PSU (sea surface salinity).

Here it's just the searchcoil going into a puddle with dynamic sweep, but it gives you an idea of the behavior.

Here we were at 7 us delay but I do not recommend.
I recommend 11.5us in the water and a sensitivity of 4 maximum. (3 is good) Sensitivity is not linear.
Between 4 and the max you may only gain 15% but you will lose all the statibility.

You can see that the ATS stabilizes well, it recalibrates very quickly.

If you do not get this result there is potentially a problem with the searchcoil.

1.png.6e4ac3030cd5a78623a1bf6db1d27d8d.png

• Like 5

If you do not get this result there is potentially a problem with the searchcoil.

Given the few posts on this forum reporting about a unusable AQ system with the coil submerged in the surf of sea water even if the settings are as recommended by Alexandre, we need to poll a reporting from all the current users on that important subject.

Could you please precisely describe the conditions and settings you are using and the results you get in terms of background noise.

If you do not have too many troubles in the same conditions, please do report as well.

Even if you do not usually go into the surf, please make a try to help us diagnose any potential problem.

A supplementary test much easier to do is to set the system in full sensitivity and ALL metal and pinch several times the coil sides with your finger. if there is a default in the internal shielding of the coil, the system should react by a clear beeping else no problem. In the latter case, the coil should probably also not react under the salt water.

As shown by Le Jag on the short video above, the system should not react at all when the coil is submerged in f moving sea water . If any one AQ reacts, it could be that its coil has a problem of inside shielding continuity.

Rick, 

Can you help us gathering the results of this poll?

Thanks

• Like 3

My AQ runs smooth as silk in the Atlantic coast of Virginia at a depth of 2’ in the surf even at 7u’s. That is in all metal, volume 8, sensitivity 4>5, threshold 4, ATS 6>8. In tone mode is a slight bit of chatter volume 8, sensitivity 4, threshold 4,  ATS 8 1/2, reject 4, and I prefer 9 on my delay as it seems to help stop the small shards of steel from detection. I have not entered the waters of the lower Chesapeake Bay Area as of yet. Fingers crossed. I would add, I set my tone mode up the same as Alexandre does in his video. The difference I see is he gets his first iron grunt at ATS 7 1/2. I do not get my first until 8 1/2. Not sure what this has to do with anything. He does not say what his reject is after backing it back down. Mine is 4.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WILLY, RICK, ALEXANDRE, I can report the exact same results and identical settings as used by Carolina. My beach is in northern California, very steep beach, very fast water. Extremely stable for me.

Tim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1