AQ Owners, How Stable Is Your Machine In Salt Water?

First time out with my new Impulse AQ. This unit had great stability on the beach. Once I entered the water, it was another story. In salt water it was very unstable in the all metal mode. I went through all of the pulse delay settings and the most stability was achieved at a pulse delay setting of 11.5. Even at that setting it was very unstable. I had to increase the ats setting to 10, Sensitivity to 2 and scrub the coil slowly on the bottom to get anything resembling stability. Every time the coil was lifted from the bottom, even a tiny bit, it went full audio. There is no way I could sweep the coil. I tried other modes with the same results. A second time out with settings recommended by Alexandre in the volcanic sand mode and trying to ground balance with the Reject control,  no change. I tried all different pule delays with Sensitivity as low as 2. I also Tried Willy's test pinching the coil seemed to work fine. I have tried 2 different areas, one area was in the open Gulf. Hunting conditions in shoulder deep water, small waves <1 ft. While coil still on the bottom, when a wave passed full audio. Second condition Flat water, shoulder deep in Pensacola bay, Still not able to sweep the coil. lift it 1/2 inch off the bottom and goes full audio with all settings and modes tried.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Oh my! 1

29 minutes ago, deborah195412 said:

First time out with my new Impulse AQ. This unit had great stability on the beach. Once I entered the water, it was another story. In salt water it was very unstable in the all metal mode. I went through all of the pulse delay settings and the most stability was achieved at a pulse delay setting of 11.7. Even at that setting it was very unstable. I had to increase the ats setting to 10, Sensitivity to 2 and scrub the coil slowly on the bottom to get anything resembling stability. Every time the coil was lifted from the bottom, even a tiny bit, it went full audio. There is no way I could sweep the coil. I tried other modes with the same results. A second time out with settings recommended by Alexandre in the volcanic sand mode and trying to ground balance with the Reject control,  no change. I tried all different pule delays with Sensitivity as low as 2. I also Tried Willy's test pinching the coil seemed to work fine. I have tried 2 different areas, one area was in the open Gulf. Hunting conditions in shoulder deep water, small waves <1 ft. While coil still on the bottom, when a wave passed full audio. Second condition Flat water, shoulder deep in Pensacola bay, Still not able to sweep the coil. lift it 1/2 inch off the bottom and goes full audio with all settings and modes tried.

Hello Deborah,

Do you have the same result when you don't immerse the enclosure in water?

But when you detect only with the searchcoil in the water ?

Alexandre

It is the same when only coil is submerged. There are 2 different machines here doing the exact same thing. I have tried both.

• Oh my! 1

17 minutes ago, deborah195412 said:

It is the same when only coil is submerged.

Hello Deborah,

So it is possible that there is a problem with this searchcoil, we will send you a new searchcoil.

I validate this by email with you.

The answers we have for other prospectors on this forum do not have this type of problem in the same conditions.

Alexandre

• Like 2

If it is a problem with the coil, The same problem exists with the other machine also. 

The audio “problems” sound like normal PI hunting in my typical ocean conditions......Delays need to be increased to 20uS for any sort of normality but I can’t make any judgements as to whether this applies to the AQ or not. 

What is the AQ’s slowest delay ?

• Like 1

Delays range from 7-11.5 uS. I think a smaller coil would solve the problem. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, deborah195412 said:

Delays range from 7-11.5 uS. I think a smaller coil would solve the problem. 

It could be but that would still not correct the problem on the 12.5" coil if it happens that there was one inside that coil;

We think that this problem is not a general behavior of the system with whatever type of coil. That was thoroughly tested by Alexandre,  Le Jag and Carl Moreland before in the same conditions.

However, the tests at the end of the production chain are currently only made with the 'COIL PINCH' procedure and not  in a real mass of salted water.

We should know for sure if your coil is faulty. Thus, we have asked to send you a new coil and yours will need to be returned for further testings.

NOTE that an 8" coil with the same internal default (incomplete shielding) would generate the same bad results.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Willy said:

We think that this problem is not a general behavior of the system with whatever type of coil. That was thoroughly tested by Alexandre,  Le Jag and Carl Moreland before in the same conditions.

System and 12.5 coil are fine, and please do not detune the AQ..

Has either of those 3 heros of mine hunted "In" saltwater?  I don't mean running the coil thru the saltwater ..

Waist to Chest deep with the  "AQ" at different locations for hours?.....I would bet my AQ No........See this is a common knowledge if your a "IN the water hunter".......... "Every beach" is different.  And the conditions can change from day to day...Beach sand hunting conditions rarely change...once your in the water it's a ever changing environment. And what the "AQ is doing is common with all water machines...some places they work and others .........spots are difficult..

It's no ones fault other then the AQ was never subjected to all of the conditions of the world. And I believe that's why Rick made a special effort to spread them out...

I can go on but it is simple..from my experiences over the years the little 8 inch is going to help, I hope enough to where I can say...

I told you so..

• Like 3